PDA

View Full Version : 23 charge???

crafterholic
20-10-2008, 03:42 PM
I just phoned HMRC to check whether i had registered (I applied online but didn't get a confirmation, sigh). Anyway, I am registered and a 23 bill is on my way.
I didn't think quick enough to ask what is is for....so do you know?

Is it an admin charge for applying online?!
It's not mentioned on the website so I'm a bit put-out now :-(

woodtattoos
20-10-2008, 03:47 PM
Don't start me on this whole self-assessment thing, I spent a while on the phone this morning to the helpline as I couldn't log on using the User ID and Activation Code I'd been given... I'm beginning to think this could be a LOT of fun...

Si.

0103media
20-10-2008, 03:58 PM
now is a bad time to call with the paper due date being in 10days.. ouch...

Pagan
20-10-2008, 03:59 PM
I phoned them and registered and no-one said anything about a charge. Why don't you phone them back and ask them?

nattynetty
20-10-2008, 04:22 PM
Don't start me on this whole self-assessment thing, I spent a while on the phone this morning to the helpline as I couldn't log on using the User ID and Activation Code I'd been given... I'm beginning to think this could be a LOT of fun...

Si.

Hmmm I'm lead to believe that happens a lot! My dad even drove to my shop to try on my computer last time it didn't work as they swore blind it was a fault with his computer and not their system....he even got a vague apology when he called back. Just don't even think about leaving it til the last week if you're doing it online :pc:

Craftaholic, the only thing I can think of is that it might be a bill for NI contributions but that's just a wild guess...I agree with Pagan's suggestion, give them a ring otherwise you'll keep worrying about it.

crafterholic
20-10-2008, 05:16 PM
Oooo it must be NI contributions yeah

Thanks guys!

woodtattoos
20-10-2008, 05:37 PM
Just don't even think about leaving it til the last week if you're doing it online :pc:

Nope, I'm doing mine over the next few weeks so it's out of the way!

Seahorse
20-10-2008, 05:45 PM
I went through my reciepts the other day to sort out what Id bought before registering...turns out that refers to most of the things ive bought!!

I may try to get the paper form done and sent but more realistically Il do the online form pre Christmas.

Aviya Glass
20-10-2008, 05:58 PM
I have used the online system for a few years, its always been very easy to use and definately no charge - perhaps NI contributions bill?

steve-bead
20-10-2008, 09:01 PM
Hi all,

Thinking back over my illustrious years of self employment - I worked out that I've been fined a total of 1500 by the tax office for late tax returns !!!!!

I just dont like paperwork.

But I did my last return (a company return) online, and it was a doddle, so Im certainly looking at that route for the future.

All the best

Steve

Daisy & Me
20-10-2008, 09:25 PM
Oh Steve, you are by no means alone in getting fined for late submission.

I do up my accounts very quickly (and let's face it, they really aren't THAT hard since I've got precious little coming in, and loads of pennies going out....) and then calculate the tax due.

And then I pay it - never a nice feeling, I admit but needs must.

And the best bit is that, even when I forget to do my tax return (actually, for that read "when I have so much trouble doing my tax return that I throw it in a corner and ignore it") since the tax was paid by the submission deadline, those nice tax inspectors waive the late filing penalty !

How good is that?

I suspect, 'though, that this may well change because they aren't in it for the love, are they?

urbtaf
21-10-2008, 10:41 PM
Just to prove I can be a good boy sometimes:) I get my return in on paper by Aug if pos.
Stopped doing it by the net after about 3 years ago when I just could not get through. It turned out that the site had been closed cos someone in Africa had managed to get through the security and accesed a lot of info, or so it was rumoured, then my son in law (an IBM consultant) told me that most of the Gov. systems were crap and he would not trust any of them!
They do tend to have a habit of lossing discs, laptops ect.:D

Delta
23-10-2008, 08:30 AM
I think there must be something wrong with me, I have been self employed for about 4 years now, I get the paperwork and swear and grumble at it for a few weeks, then I get my illiterate Klingon dictionary out and tackle it, and I think I usually have it sent back by the end of June. I figured if I left it much longer than that, then it would get filed and lost.

But, I did get a letter from the tax office about a month ago telling me that they are not sending me any more SAs to fill in :confused:

lauraj
24-10-2008, 08:37 AM
i was very organised this year and got all tax done in April. Although since then it has gone to pot, receipts ebverywhere, bills everywhere, no sign of filing since APril and i had such good intentions..

sharon
24-10-2008, 06:20 PM
The first year I had to fill in the SA form I was absolutely terrified & kept putting it off & off until finally it was the very day it had to be received.
I then ended up driving to the nearest Tax Office (20 miles away) at 4pm in a right panic with rush hour traffic to hand deliver it! NEVER AGAIN!!

After that it was done online & it was so quick & easy - never had any problems with it.

Cheers

Sharon

samigail
25-10-2008, 09:08 AM
I think there must be something wrong with me, I have been self employed for about 4 years now, I get the paperwork and swear and grumble at it for a few weeks, then I get my illiterate Klingon dictionary out and tackle it, and I think I usually have it sent back by the end of June. I figured if I left it much longer than that, then it would get filed and lost.

But, I did get a letter from the tax office about a month ago telling me that they are not sending me any more SAs to fill in :confused:

I was told when i registered that depending on your returns after a while they may not ask you to fill any in - I'm hoping for that after a few years - i don't see me ever being in a position to pay tax as I'll get no-where near the income to reach the threshold!

plainjanetextiles
26-10-2008, 03:26 PM
I would definitely give them a ring, I applied online too and it didn't work. I phoned up 3 times in one month asking what what happening in my application with no luck. In the end I phoned back and they re-registered me on the phone but then said by that point I was over my 3 months grace period. I said I wouldn't have been if it wasn't for their crappy system. I got a nice guy who gave me his name and where he worked and he said if they tried to charge me I was to write and complain saying that he had told me I shouldn't have to pay because it wasn't my fault. In the end, no bill came. He did tell me though that because I already paid NI I might not get billed the late fees after all!

Never register online, sounds like a few of us have had the same problem!

Good luck, let us know how it turns out.
Sarah x

crafterholic
26-10-2008, 08:36 PM
Well, I got the letter saying I am now registered...but no bill!
Hmmm....
It was the right amount for NI owed up to this point though.
Do they send me bills for NI monthly - how do I pay it?

Sparklez
26-10-2008, 08:55 PM
you should probably be registering for a NI exemption certificate if you pay NI elsewhere, such as a full time job. But, yes, they will probably send you a bill. Remember that the tax office and NI people are different. One won't necessarily speak to the other. My dealings with the NI lot a few weeks ago had them quite far behind with there records. They were looking for NI of over 300 from 2006-2007 (which had already been paid)

auntynet
26-10-2008, 11:04 PM
It was the right amount for NI owed up to this point though.
Do they send me bills for NI monthly - how do I pay it?

Get in touch with them and arrange to set up a monthly direct debit.

Ifor-Jones
27-10-2008, 09:15 AM
Get in touch with them and arrange to set up a monthly direct debit.

Yes, that's what I do and then it is dealt with. No more thinking needed!

staceyjlew
27-10-2008, 09:21 PM
I registered as Self Employed at the end of September (I backdated it to the first Sept), and have just received my first NI bill through for about 13.00.

Seems no one's experiences are quite the same!