PDA

View Full Version : How do I make pictures bigger on website?

gigglinggoblin
12-10-2008, 10:11 AM
Have started putting together a website using microsoft office live. I can upload the photos but I want to have them big enough to show detail without using up a huge amount of space. I have noticed lots of people have little thumbnails and when you click on it the larger image comes up, but I have tried googling and not been able to find how to do it. If anyone can point me in the right direction I would be very grateful!

Caroleecrafts
12-10-2008, 10:28 AM
With my photos I have an album which lists all the photos in thumbnail on the section, then when you click on a picture it automatically makes it bigger. This is done automatically and I don not have to mess around with sizes, just drag and drop.

What software package are you using for your web as other members may be able to help more specifically. I use Sandvox by Karelia.

gigglinggoblin
12-10-2008, 11:10 AM
That sounds really good, I went for office live because it was free so I guess I shouldnt expect too much! No idea about software package, I am not using anything they dont supply but I think maybe I need to look into other stuff as Im not finding it easy. Thanks for reply, will have a look at that

elzi
14-10-2008, 09:58 PM
Hello,

this might be a bit of a techincal answer but I thought I would explain so you understand how thumbnails work.

The thumbnail is a different image to your bigger detailed image. When you have a photo of an item you save it as two different sizes: thumbnail size and large size. You then put the thumbnail image into your webpage and make the thumbnail link (just as you link to other webpages on your site) to the larger image.

The simpliest way to to do this is to create another webpage with your larger photo on and use that as the webpage you are linking to from the thumbnail.

I have no idea what package you are using but you usually add a thumbnail link just as you would add a text link e.g. if you highlight text and add a link then try highlighting the thumbnail image and adding a link.

As mentioned above there is software that will create a photo album (and thumbnails) for you and that's much easier and quicker.

I hope this has helped and not scared/been a bit too technical for you!

:)

(I would paste the html code for thumbnail linking but it's probably not allowed on forum posts)

gigglinggoblin
19-10-2008, 03:16 PM
That makes a lot of sense now, thank you. I have now bought serif web builder (think thats what its called, it was on special offer and got good reviews so hopefully will be ok) but might try the thumbnail idea, I didnt realise it worked that way. Am hopeless at techie stuff! But replies much appreciated I feel able to have a go now