PDA

View Full Version : Help

rozanne
12-10-2008, 10:30 AM
I am trying to make some xmas stockings for our xmas fayre we are holding and I am having problems. I have made the stockings (mini) out of thick green felt and want to attach a strip of fur round the top. Can anyone suggest what glue I need to get to do this. Im useless at hand sewing! Thank you

Caroleecrafts
12-10-2008, 11:29 AM
I always stitch mine but you could try Aileenes fabric glue, from most good craft shops.

purplemac
12-10-2008, 11:32 AM
Gluing them might be more trouble than sewing them! (Could just be me, I'm a mucky pup!) I've used PVA glue on fabric but it has to be left still until the PVA sets, could be ages. And I'm not sure if it would work on the fabrics you are using - I'd HATE it if half the fur fell off in the middle of your fair!! Might just be easier in the long run to sew the fur on, use an every day running stitch (-----) but make the fur side stitch really small so you don't get the fur caught up, and normal size stitch on the felt. If you match the thread to the felt, the stitching can be as rubbish as you like because it's inside and the same colour, it won't show!!

Good luck!!
Debbie

Caroleecrafts
12-10-2008, 11:33 AM
I agree glue could be messy, it is easy enough to hand stitch and just as quick, also more likely to stay on.

Finta
12-10-2008, 12:25 PM
Is it a fluffy trim (like a mini feather boa) you are applying, or is it a strip fake fur fabric (so its not fluffy on the back)?

rozanne
12-10-2008, 02:02 PM
Its not fake fur on the back. Thanks

silvermaid
12-10-2008, 03:08 PM
I made some last year and found it easier to sew the front toe side seam down to the curve then stop and sew the trim along the top - so it's just straight sewing. Then sew the rest of the seam.

Melanie

Critchley
12-10-2008, 08:49 PM
I stick cotton wool round the top of mine. I use paper glue too. Cheepskate, thats me. They look OK though. With the paper glue I use a brush and dob it on - so easy. But then - they are not for sale so I can get away with it.

two hoots
13-10-2008, 09:54 AM
Copydex is a good fabric glue if that is the way you want to go, but I have to say hand stitching is probably the better way.