PDA

View Full Version : Blunt Pinking Shears

kittykent
11-10-2008, 04:41 PM
I wonder if anyone has any bright ideas. Have had this pair of shears for years & would dearly love to have them sharpened. I sent them off to a company in Cornwall who say they can sharpen any pair. Mine were sent back with a note saying no can do!

Looks like santa will be bringing me a new pair!

Any recommendations please?

goldy1
11-10-2008, 04:42 PM
i've heard that cutting sand paper works. Not tried it though.

kittykent
11-10-2008, 04:53 PM
Tried that one (probably made them worse so I wouldn't recommend that) surely it can't be that difficult. A decent pair is so expensive now:o

nettie
11-10-2008, 05:21 PM
I heard that cutting through tin foil helps. I wonder if key cutters sharpen things like that?

wobble
11-10-2008, 08:13 PM
Look for a small engineering company in your area, if they can be saved, it should only take a couple of minutes.

BlueShedCrafts
12-10-2008, 04:37 PM
This is something I need the answer to for myself and so thank-you for asking the question. I 'inherited' my pinking shears from my late Grandmas sister and so I'd never wish to throw them out. I hope I can find someone to sharpen them for me.:)

kittykent
12-10-2008, 05:59 PM
A ha! Right, well let me give you the details of this place in Cornwall. As I mentioned they can sharpen practically anything (apart from mine that is!!) It's called Prosharp & is in Hayle. Give them a google.
Their website gives prices etc. Good luck, I'm still looking

JBJB
12-10-2008, 08:09 PM
Tin foil is your best bet - or I'm sure I read you can cut through the silver foil that you peel off the tops of butter so you get that added lubrication.

two hoots
13-10-2008, 09:11 AM
Look for a firm that sharpens lawn mower blades, they might have the right equipment to sharpen scissor blades too.

kittykent
13-10-2008, 12:26 PM
Thanks, hadn't thought of that! Keep you posted.

little miss zombie
14-10-2008, 09:57 PM
because i have some shears, and i dont know where on earth i will go to sharpen mine, (i've just asked my husband about the place in hayle, he lived there for a while, and he says yes, they can sharpen virtually anything, but he was lol because you have found possibly the one and only thing they cant sharpen,) so please do post if you find somewhere or get any joy. :)

ElaineJ
14-10-2008, 11:00 PM
It would have been helpful if they'd said why they couldn't do it, possibly because pinking shear "blades" are not like scissor blades with one long cutting edge.

Try glass-paper or emery-paper rather than sandpaper and you would need to make several cuts, starting with a coarse grade and working to a fine one.

wastril
15-10-2008, 12:49 PM
Thought I could help you for a mo when I saw your name and (wrongly), assumed that you came from my neck of the woods ( Kent). However, a local firm sharpens band saw blades, so maybe if you look on t'internet for local companies that do that, you may have some luck. Failing that, send me what you want cut and I'll try and scalpel a straight line cut free hand, it would come out fairly similar

kittykent
15-10-2008, 04:02 PM
That's sweet! Thanks for the offer. Do you know I can't remember exactly what reason he gave. They're out of the flintstone school of sewing so I was probably asking a lot of the poor man & he did try. I'm going to treat myself to a spanking new pair but won't give up looking & keep them in reserve!

sharon
15-10-2008, 05:34 PM
I think Fiskars (the scissor manufacturers) do a sharpening tool for pinking scissors - I'm sure I saw one in an ironmongery shop 2 or 3 yrs ago.

Will have a look for their website & report back

Sharon

kittykent
15-10-2008, 05:41 PM
Well if it's anything like their scissor 'tuner' that would be fab! I swear by mine, well not literally of course!

AniccaJewellery
15-10-2008, 05:47 PM
I heard that cutting through tin foil helps. I wonder if key cutters sharpen things like that?

I heard this too, it works with scissors!

sharon
15-10-2008, 05:58 PM
Sorry - No luck on Fiskars or haberdashery sites. Only sharpeners for ordinary scissors.

Did a search for how to sharpen pinking shears & found the usual things -

cutting through several folded sheets of tinfoil (making sure the whole length of the blades go through in one cut) :rolleyes:

cutting through extremely fine emery type paper (never sandpaper) but this is a last resort as it can do more harm than good apparently :o

take a trip to a good engineering workshop & ask nicely, flutter those eyelashes! :kiss:

give up & buy a new pair :mad:

Apparently pinking shears aren't used as much as they used to be due to modern sewing machines being able to be so much more versatile - no good though when you want to put a decorative edge on something!

Even if you buy a new pair they'll need sharpening before long & that'll mean yet another new pair!!

Good luck
Sharon

kittykent
16-10-2008, 09:27 AM
My goodness you've been a busy gal...thanks for all the info. It's such a shame these basic sewing accessories have become unpopular. Do many people use the serrated rotary cutters do you think? I always pick the blades up & think I should probably buy another straight blade instead. However a decent pair of shears should last for years & years that is unless the paper fairies get hold of them!

Buffy
16-10-2008, 12:08 PM
These guys claim they can if no broken teeth.
http://www.prosharp.co.uk/services.asp?c=s

SusieQ
16-10-2008, 04:49 PM
These guys claim they can if no broken teeth.
http://www.prosharp.co.uk/services.asp?c=s
Thanks so much!!!! Mine will be on their way tomorrow!!! Sue xx

caroline1954
05-11-2010, 07:58 PM
Scissor Sharpening: How to Sharpen Pinking Shears ....I found this on youtube....I got my hubby to try this on mine and they work great ,just thought i would let you all know it works like magic, xx

the card shark
06-11-2013, 09:45 AM
We sharpen Pinkers for lots of people if you are stuck

I would imagine they've either found someone to sharpen them or bought a new pair of pinking shears by now!

Very Old Thread!