PDA

View Full Version : Transparent soap

Lomond Soap
04-10-2008, 10:06 PM
I'm on a quest!
I want to make my own transparent soap. I have Cathy Failors book but all her recipes include palm, I don't use palm.
Really I'm a bit perplexed about using my own recipes, how much alcohol and sugar do I use? Don't think this can be done on soap calc?
Even if I went with one of her recipes, they are pretty big, I'm experienced enough to know you can't just half the recipe but how does a gal get into making this? There seems to be so little out there!
Can anyone enlighten me, please?

astleysoapco
05-10-2008, 12:28 AM
Hey, right ok. Ive got Melinda Coss book here. Erhh - Its say use lots of sugar,Including glycerine. however contact this company -

Butterbur and Sage ltd

I know they have got something that it the equivalent of alcohol (de-natured alcohol)

Hope this helps
James

Lomond Soap
05-10-2008, 08:54 PM
Hi again. So far what I've found out is that you need a license from HMRC to buy/use TSDA (trade specific denatured alcohol) but methanol and vodka also work. If you want to order from the SK they insist on a letter of authority from HMRC then its fairly cheap to buy, under £5 a litre.
It's the recipes and how to alter them, change the oils, alcohol amounts I'm stuck with??
Will have a look at butterbur & sage, ta for the info.

astleysoapco
05-10-2008, 10:00 PM
right ok, how stupid the UK has gone on laws, EU thing arhhhhhh.

stacy
17-10-2008, 06:46 AM
Hi
Can anybody help me and tell me where i'm going wrong, if I am.

I use a clear m/p glyercin soap base, melt that and add fragrance and w/b colour.
:confused:
At first my soaps were fine and looked and smelt lovely but recently they have been sweating extremelly bad. They still smell lovely but you can see lots of sweating which feels very slimmy, obviously from the oils. I'm wondering if i have a bad batch of gylercin or if I'm going wrong somewhere. I'm getting very dispondant as i am throwing them all in the bin which is of course a waste of money. I did try and re-melt it down when it had happened only for it to happen to that batch again, so in the bin it went. My Shea butter soap base and goats milk soap base seem to be fine, (touch wood) its just been the last 2x1 kilo of clear that i have used that it has done it with.
My worry is I also have a block of 11.5 kilo of clear glyercin upstairs waiting to be used and i feel a bit weary to use it.

Thanks to all reading my whinging
Love Stacy

Bath-Bomb.Com
17-10-2008, 07:14 AM
Hi Stacy,

I've had this happen but only with certain Essential Oils (Peppermint seems the worse).

Is it sweating after you wrap it or before? - you might consider what you are wrapping it in...apparently cling film is better for glycerine soaps and it preserves the scent.

Are you adding any additional butters or oils to it? If so, you need to add much less and make sure it's all combined and that the base is cooled a bit before adding the butter.

Other than the above, it could be where you're storing it... maybe it's too warm.

HTH :)

stacy
17-10-2008, 08:17 AM
Hi
Thanks so much for getting back to me.:D

I use Uk fragrance oils (not essential) and normal w/b colours. I dont put anything else in them.:D
The sweating occurs before I wrap them. How would I store the soap if they are tiny (in shaped ice cube trays, ie disney, hearts, penguins) as they go in organza bags because they are too little to wrap?
I tend to wrap them the day after i have made them. Is it better to wrap them as soon as they are set? :confused:
Thank you so much again for answering my dilema
I hope I can have some faith restored so I can use my stock up.
Love Stacy
x

rhulme
17-10-2008, 09:04 AM
hi don't know weather it helps but i slice mine and leave them to breathe for 2 -3 days and this seems to be fine

Bath-Bomb.Com
17-10-2008, 09:35 AM
Hi Stacy,

I found this information on various websites - hope it helps:

Glycerin soaps need to be protected from prolonged exposure to the air in order to keep their scent and to avoid sweating—a process in which moisture in the air draws out the glycerin in the soap causing small sweat-like droplets to form on the surface of your soaps.

I think that, once they are set (after 24 hours), you should pop them in some cellophane bags or wrap them in cling film - you can then put the bags into your organza bags.

Has this only happened with this batch of soap? Have you made others before that didn't do this? If so, it may just be that the soap base is unusually high in Glycerin...just a guess.

Good Luck :)

stacy
17-10-2008, 12:30 PM
Hi
A big thanks to all who have answered. Its very much appreciated, :mf:

When i first tried soap making out, they turned out brilliantly but now for some reason this has started to happen. I use the same supplier and this batch is from my first batch bought from him. I always make my soaps in the kitchen but recently have had the tumble dryer going and i'm wondering if it is because the kitchen is getting warm. I have a kitchen and dinner all in one so its not small but its a south facing kitchen that has sunshine (yeah,when we get it) all day.
I will give your suggestions a go and as soon as they are cool enough to wrap I will wrap them in cling film and see how it goes. I use a cellophane wrap as a rule which is great but will also try the cling film too as the smaller ones will be more fiddly for me as I have disabilities with my wrist and hand.
Thanks once again
Take care and everyone have a gr8 weekend
Love Stacy
xx :D

Bath-Bomb.Com
17-10-2008, 12:39 PM
Hiya,

I would think it is very likely that your tumble dryer is the culprit. Not so much for warmth but they cause a lot of humidity - so it's warm AND damp air, which will almost certainly draw the moisture out of the soap.

I'm not an expert by any means but perhaps, once you've made the soaps, you could store them in a cooler room?

take care and have a good weekend

:)

ElaineJ
17-10-2008, 01:48 PM
Glycerine soaps will sweat if they are moved from a cold place to a warm/hot place and they'll do that whether they are wrapped or not.

I demould mine without fridging and leave for a day then put into poly bags and into tupperware type boxes then wrap in cellophane whenever they're needed.

Lomond Soap
19-10-2008, 11:05 PM
Anyhoo, I wanted to make my own clear soap, not M&P, has nobody ever done this?

Loretta
20-10-2008, 02:17 PM
Anyhoo, I wanted to make my own clear soap, not M&P, has nobody ever done this?

I have a recipe for this but I have not tried it yet, I think it is Melinda Cross. It is quite a long process involving lots of grating and heating and waiting etc and it is a while since I read it. I will look it out for you. I sort of decided it wasn't worth the bother at the time but I do come round to things and always try something at least once. Now you have mentioned it I may try it myself next week when I have got time and we can compare results, I do like to think I have tried everything!

stacy
21-10-2008, 12:06 PM
Hi
Thanks to everyone who has given me advice regarding "sweating of soaps".

I made some a couple of days ago without tumble dryer going, also back door and window open. As it was nice outside i even put the tray with the soaps on out there to help with setting. As soon as they were set I wrapped them in clingfilm and so far they are great, YIPPEE. :)
Fingers crossed it doesn't happen again as soap making is not a cheap hobbie and to have to throw the unsuccesful ones away is a terrible waste!!
Take care all
Love Stacy
x♥x