PDA

View Full Version : waterproof labels

rhulme
04-10-2008, 09:36 AM
hi i need asap clear waterproof labels hopefully ones i can print on if not that fine. i have do shower gels, shampoo but the label i have looks tacky and will wash away.
racheal

The Soap Fairy
04-10-2008, 11:53 AM
Hi
www.thesoapkitchen.co.uk (http://www.thesoapkitchen.co.uk) they do clear labels not sure how good they are as I have not used them but plan to in the future. I am sure they will be fine as they make their own products and probably use them.

Donna

Bath-Bomb.Com
04-10-2008, 12:08 PM
Hi,

I may be wrong but I think that, unless you have a laser printer, you will struggle to make any label waterproof. Inkjet printers print the ink onto the label and any water or essential oil will smudge the ink - a laser printer heats the 'ink' to adhere it to the label.

I have a laser printer that cost about 250 in PC World (open a business account and you'll get a bit off) but I have to warn you the toners are 72 each (they last about 4 months depending on how much you print - about 2000 pages each I think) so unless you do a lot of printing it might be worth you buying your labels from a label printing firm.

Hope this helps

:)

astleysoapco
04-10-2008, 06:53 PM
Who hasnt got a laser printer. Get one. You cant do without one! I use a company in the states sometimes, cant remeber what they where called. Depends on how mnay you want, and how much you are willing to pay.

astleysoapco
04-10-2008, 06:54 PM
Just to let everyone know, I have the samsung clp-300n. I have never had a problem with it, and prints fab. Colours are bright.

nattynetty
05-10-2008, 12:06 AM
Who hasnt got a laser printer. Get one. You cant do without one!

I don't have one and have managed perfectly happily with inkjet printers for many years thanks all the same.

rhulme
05-10-2008, 12:34 PM
natty, do you use yours for shampoo bottles and i don't have a laser printer either. will be printing a lot before xmas then not much before mothers day

nattynetty
05-10-2008, 12:58 PM
natty, do you use yours for shampoo bottles and i don't have a laser printer either. will be printing a lot before xmas then not much before mothers day

No I don't use my printer for anything like that, just took exception to the incredulous response that some people don't even have a laser printer. However hubby says that our inkjet printer is an Epson with durabrite ink which is waterproof and resin based so may be resistant to some oils (the printer cost about 30 and individual cartridges are 7).

He says another option is to print with your normal printer onto paper and then use this to photocopy directly onto the labels if they are suitable to go through a photocopier (check the packaging or call the label's customer service department to find out if they are) as photocopiers are usually toner-based. Hope that made some sense.

astleysoapco
05-10-2008, 02:36 PM
Just to let everyone know..if anyone does want anything printed on a laser printer - I would be more that ahppy to help. Just PM me. James

Ifor-Jones
05-10-2008, 05:15 PM
I don't have one and have managed perfectly happily with inkjet printers for many years thanks all the same.

Me too - can do without an added expense thanks!

FairyAlchemy
06-10-2008, 12:33 PM
Hi Racheal it is possible to get the water slide paper for printing for inkjets, you can get the waterproof for bottles and the water slide for on products just like soap.
Although this link is American it shows the type you can get
http://beldecal.com
I will be ordering my winter stock from them soon, it would be cheaper to do a co-op with the order if anyone else is interested (just pm me)

Also if you already have labels you want to use and you have printed a lot, when you put them on the bottles you can give them a quick blast with acrylic (varnish spray) to stop them running, not ideal but saves wasting labels already printed.

Good luck x:p