PDA

View Full Version : What yarn to crochet with???

Span1
27-09-2008, 10:07 PM
Hi, Thought I'd pick everybody's brains again for some advice on yarn. I've finally got the hang of crochet squares and have decided to make some blankets for a premature baby charity. I was wondering what would be a good yarn to use for making warm soft blankets for babies. Also, I'd welcome any thoughts/comments on peoples favourite yarns for othr types of projects (e.g. clothing, bags, hats etc.)
Thanks!

Recycled Bag Lady
27-09-2008, 10:34 PM
I think crochet is a medium where you can use any kind of yarn - as long as you use a suitable hook! A lot depends on how fine or coarse you want the finished article to be. For baby items, give consideration to a yarn that is washable, soft and predominantly natural rather than man made. Also consider little fingers getting stuck in holes when thinking of your design. Best thing is to have a good old mosy around a yarn shop, they usually have lots of choices suitable for babies. :)

Span1
28-09-2008, 02:09 PM
Thanks recycled bag lady! I was given a huge bag of yarn to play with but most of it is acrylic and I wasn't too sure if it would be suitable for babies, especially premature ones. I hadn't thought about the hole thing.
I best get shopping:)

squall
28-09-2008, 05:36 PM
I think crochet is a medium where you can use any kind of yarn - as long as you use a suitable hook! A lot depends on how fine or coarse you want the finished article to be. For baby items, give consideration to a yarn that is washable, soft and predominantly natural rather than man made. Also consider little fingers getting stuck in holes when thinking of your design. Best thing is to have a good old mosy around a yarn shop, they usually have lots of choices suitable for babies. :)

You mean crochet is not advisable to be used for baby clothes?

Recycled Bag Lady
28-09-2008, 06:23 PM
You mean crochet is not advisable to be used for baby clothes?

Sorry, didn't mean to give the impression that it is not suitable, I just think you do have to be careful with some stitches in crochet as they leave rather big holes, a tighter stitch is preferable (especially if you are making them to sell on or give away).

craftynclothy
28-09-2008, 06:24 PM
Hi, Thought I'd pick everybody's brains again for some advice on yarn. I've finally got the hang of crochet squares and have decided to make some blankets for a premature baby charity. I was wondering what would be a good yarn to use for making warm soft blankets for babies. Also, I'd welcome any thoughts/comments on peoples favourite yarns for othr types of projects (e.g. clothing, bags, hats etc.)
Thanks!

Hi,

I crochet for premature baby charities. Usually you should use 3-ply, 4-ply or dk baby yarn in 100% acrylic in pastel colours. It needs to be acrylic so that it doesn't shrink when the hospital steralises it. Also, some hospitals don't use crocheted blankets because the tiny babies can get fingers caught in the 'holes' of the crocheted items so they usually use crocheted stuff for bereavement purposes (hence the need to use pastel colours).

One of the things I love about crochet is that any yarn is easy to use as long as you get the right size of hook!

Hope that helps!

:D

Span1
28-09-2008, 07:38 PM
Thank you craftynclothy that's a big help!

craftynclothy
28-09-2008, 07:43 PM
Thank you craftynclothy that's a big help!

No problem. Just reread my post and thought it was a bit unclear - they will use crochet blankets but only for bereavement.

Mrs T Riddiough
30-09-2008, 07:33 PM
Hi,

I crochet for premature baby charities. Usually you should use 3-ply, 4-ply or dk baby yarn in 100% acrylic in pastel colours. It needs to be acrylic so that it doesn't shrink when the hospital steralises it. Also, some hospitals don't use crocheted blankets because the tiny babies can get fingers caught in the 'holes' of the crocheted items so they usually use crocheted stuff for bereavement purposes (hence the need to use pastel colours).

One of the things I love about crochet is that any yarn is easy to use as long as you get the right size of hook!

Hope that helps!

:D

This has just summed up what I was going to say. I knit and crochet for two local special care baby units and the only thing that hasn't been mentioned is don't use any yarns that drop fluff. It seems obvious but its easily forgotten.