PDA

View Full Version : Crochet Diploma do I?

Span1
22-09-2008, 10:05 PM
I recently started crocheting and I'm really enjoying it. I'm currently teaching myself through books and internet resources as going to a class is not really an option for me.
I saw a website that does a crochet diploma via distance learning and wondered if anyone had tried it and if they had what they thought?
If not does anyone know of any other resources I can use?

Thanks!

jezzabell
22-09-2008, 11:45 PM
I didn`t do any crochet class but if you sometimes have any questions about it just sent a message and I will be happy to help you!

x

Recycled Bag Lady
22-09-2008, 11:59 PM
I do patchwork, but have never done any 'formal' training in it. Just started on a patchwork course the other week - it's fantastic! I'm learning all kinds of tips, not just about patchwork but about types of fabrics and how to tell the difference (OH thinks I've cracked as I've been setting fire to bits of material this weekend!) and lots of other things. It's been worth every penny! :) If you can, I'd say go for it!

Mrs T Riddiough
23-09-2008, 08:35 AM
I am self taught with crochet and I haven't found a pattern I couldn't figure out. I looked at a diploma many years ago and the only thing I could have learnt from it was a bit more about designing my own stuff. So I guess it boils down to how much it costs against how much you will gain.

Regards
Nadine

Critchley
23-09-2008, 09:18 PM
I too am self taught. I can't possibly imagine what a diploma would do for you. Unless it covers designing. Even then, once you have the hang of following a pattern there are no limits to what you can produce. Keep at it, you get quicker and more confident as you go.

Span1
23-09-2008, 10:42 PM
Thank you everyone.
The course seems geared up to helping you design your own work as well as help with patterns etc. My biggest problem is getting the right size and shape I've just done a square from a pattern which has turned out looking more rectangular. I don't know if I have the tension wrong or if i just need to learn more about different wools and hook sizes.
This is something else that the course seems to cover. I suppose this would come with time. I think I'm just impatient ;)

Mrs T Riddiough
24-09-2008, 08:56 AM
When I was learning I can remember starting off with a square with four corners and finishing with five corners. :confused:

It's amazing how with a little practice it all starts to make sense but as with every new skill sometimes it needs time.

Span1
24-09-2008, 08:05 PM
When I was learning I can remember starting off with a square with four corners and finishing with five corners. :confused:

It's amazing how with a little practice it all starts to make sense but as with every new skill sometimes it needs time.

That actually makes me feel a little better!:) I suppose we've all got to start somewhere

cloudhopping
24-09-2008, 08:49 PM
I'm self-taught too, any problems and I've always found an answer in one of my many books or on the internet. Once you become confident too then designing becomes easier - a lot of my designs I make up as I go along!