PDA

View Full Version : storing my beads

Traceyf
22-09-2008, 10:08 PM
Hi everyone

I wonder if anyone can help me regarding storing my beads.. I currently have them in a plastic tool box with a removeable see through lid, that has compartments..

the rest of the box is.. just a big box!

Is there somewhere online i can maybe purchase a box with plenty of different sized compartments for my array of beads and findings?

i travel to my boyfriends a lot so ideally just the one box with other see through compartmens in it would be easier for me to transport

What do other jewellery makers use?
its basically so i can see what i actually have, instead of rummaging in bags!

Buffy
22-09-2008, 10:22 PM
Funnily enough been looking for such a thing today!

I liked these "Pill Style Boxes" and am rather taken by the aluminium set too :D Storage Boxes (http://www.beadaura.co.uk/shop/storage.php?select=Storage%20boxes)

The prices are very reasonable in my opinion!

Hope this helps

~Buffy x x

Louise88
22-09-2008, 10:23 PM
These are useful for tiny things http://www.clickoncrafts.co.uk/store-it-craft-stackers-25mm.ir?cName=card-papercraft-storage

Also these, I have loads of these, very useful! http://www.clickoncrafts.co.uk/papermania-embellishment-organiser-pink.ir?cName=card-papercraft-storage

:D

Selina
22-09-2008, 10:26 PM
I went to Homebase last week and bought a box with four or five drawers in it, each drawer has about 10 different sections for storage. It may well be black and decker (its black and yellow), cost about 20 which is more than I wanted to spend, isn't everything! but it does a good job, Selina

beckyboo
22-09-2008, 10:27 PM
I store mine in a variety of ways

some are in 3 wall boxes with drawers,the type men use for storing screws etc.
some are in small plastic drawer units ( available from the 1 shop) and some in plastic takeaway boxes (new not used ones,lol, again from the 1shop ) these I stack on top of each other until they look dangerously like toppling over,lol

auntynet
23-09-2008, 12:45 AM
I store a lot in the clear plastic tubes that button sellers use. I've also got quite a few small boxes with compartments (they came full of screws & nails but OH gets them and I get the boxes) from 1 shop. Both these are great for beads on the move. I carry all these around in a Stanley tool box that's on wheels - 2 large compartments, lift out tray, swivel tray and outside pouches.

I do like the look of the storage boxes in the first link posted by Buffy. May have to invest in a few of those.

Pagan
23-09-2008, 07:36 AM
http://www.clickoncrafts.co.uk/papermania-embellishment-organiser-pink.ir?cName=card-papercraft-storage

:D

oooh I have one of those - they're brilliant

Selina
23-09-2008, 08:13 AM
I didn't look at Buffy's link before! I have 6 of the ones at the top, they came in a bead bag bought off Ebay. Each compartment locks shut individually so if you drop it they don't all come open and you spend 6 hours picking up and separating 1000 beads!!!!!!! Selina

Caroleecrafts
23-09-2008, 08:36 AM
Ooh! I like the aluminum ones too Buffy. Like the idea of being able to take one box at a time.
I have units from Storage4crafts but they are a desk format so may be too big for what you want think I may get some of the above.

Pebbles
23-09-2008, 08:49 AM
I always fancied one of those craft tote things, bags with boxes in for the transportation of all things beady

I don't have one though :mad:

I use storage4crafts, there is a box on there for about 10 which has two removable trays in a 4ltr box, I store beads in the sectioned trays and other stuff in the box.

Traceyf
23-09-2008, 08:55 AM
Thank you all ever so much.. plenty of ideas there for me.

I'm really sorry that the majority of my posts are questions but as i mentioned on my first post. I'm just re starting :)

Caroleecrafts
23-09-2008, 09:00 AM
Don't apologise for asking questions Tracy, we are all here to help and learn, this is what the forum is for. I have been crafting for more years than I care to remember but am still learning. No one knows it all as techniques change or new ones are introduced.

Rhiannon
23-09-2008, 09:05 AM
I have now got 2 of the craftmates bags, each with 6 boxes in, containing 14 compartments in each box. They are brilliant as each compartment has its own lid.

I have also got some of throse drawers from the 1 shop but find it very hard to take them anywhere as they fall apart when I pick them up!

Here is the craft bag, I think you can get them slightly cheaper on ebay.

http://www.beadsforbeaders.com/cgi-bin/sh000003.pl?REFPAGE=http%3a%2f%2fwww%2ebeadsforbea ders%2ecom%2facatalog%2fThread%2ehtml&WD=mates%20craft&PN=Craft_Mates%2ehtml%23a34#a34

Delta
23-09-2008, 10:13 AM
I have all my beads in those plastic take away tubs with lids, have been buying them up at Poundland.

My findings are all in a box that I bought from B&Q, its a sturdy box with a handle and has 4 largish closeable trays inside with adjustable dividers. So I have one tray with pins in, one with chains and earwires, one with clasps and fasteners and one with misc stuff in (bookmarks, hairpins, keychains etc)

All my threading stuff, ie elastic, beading thread and wire are in a big yellow and black tool box, the sort with trays attatched that pen up when you lift the lid over, and it has a couple of sections on the lid too.

Tools are kept in a wire cutlery holder that I got from another pound shop.

Aviya Glass
23-09-2008, 11:16 AM
Hi,

I bought some opaque white plastic ones from the 1 shop (last of the big spenders me), they had picture hanging bits in them which got chucked in a bag. They are great for small beads. I also saw some of the ''mens style' ones - plastic tray with clear lid - with moveable dividers in Woolworths also 1. These offer flexibility to choose compartment size but not for very small beads. :sm:

Terry xx

craftsensations
23-09-2008, 11:32 AM
I've got one of these:

http://www.clickoncrafts.co.uk/craft-factory-multi-craft-tote-bag-purple.ir?cName=card-papercraft-storage

It's great as it has I think 4 of the see through pill box type things and came with a free bead bored in the bottom. And it's great ebcause it's all in a bag with a strap so easy to carry around - which I guess for you would be especially handy. AND it has pockets in the side, perfect for all your pliers!

And a bargain 19.99!! I got mine from Hobbycraft - but they're online too.

Sorry I'm a bit of a fan of mine -as you may be able to tell!!! :D I've got loads of other pill box type things - mix of clear, blue and pink ones - all from Hobbycraft. They're also good for other stuff too like small FIMO things, if you do that too. And I just got a business card holder folder to hold all my card toppers!

Louise88
23-09-2008, 11:49 AM
Thanks craftsensations! I think i might get one of these! I'm always looking for storage!

You'd think a whole room would be big enough! It turns out, not even a three bedroom mid terrace can't hold all my crafty c***!!!!!!!!!! :o

craftsensations
23-09-2008, 11:55 AM
ha ha! Yeah tell me about it! There's only two of us and we have a 5 bed house we've managed to fill up nicely!! My OH has had to buy ANOTHER desk for our study as I've totally taken over the first one!!

I LOVE storage! And the bag is soooooo cool - you'll love it! It's also great for taking to fairs when you think you might be quiet and then you can get on with some making!

Louise88
23-09-2008, 12:28 PM
I got a trolley for 20 quid, a bargain! I thought....I filled it that full that it's top heavy, and unless balanced properly it topples over! :)

Traceyf
23-09-2008, 01:44 PM
Oooooo i like that bag, think i'd need to see inside it forst though.. I have all different sizes of beads and all the gubbings that go with them!

I'm going soon to have a nosey in Poundstretcher and Wilkinsons.. see if anything catches my eye in there too.

There isn't a Hobbycraft in Hull ( where i am at the moment) but later in the week i'm back in the North East so i'll look in the one there, but i'm impatient, i want to start making my jewellery NOW but theres so much chaos in my box, i need that sorting first. I can't work in mess, i need order hehe, so i need something quick!!

Thanks again, i'm getting addicted to this forum :sm:

Vixxie Jewels
23-09-2008, 10:52 PM
Hi Tracey,

I dont know if this is any good for you but I got myself a couple of small compartment boxes from rocking rabbit:
(rockingrabbit.co.uk/product info.php?products id=771)
Theyre fab cos the compartments are smaller than most and are set into the tray so they cant mix. Then i bought some 4litre "Really useful boxes":
(reallyusefulproducts.co.uk/uk/html/onlineshop/fullrange rub.php)
(you can get them from most stationers)
and put them inside. I I took the lids off the compartment boxes for easy access. But you can leave them on to minimise spillage when carrying.
:)
You can fit two small compartment boxes in one 4litre really useful Box. And each really useful box is stackable so they sit well ontop of eachother. I use them for all my crystal colours. Works a treat. You can also buy the 4litre really useful box with dividers but they are better for bigger beads or beads you have lots of.
Hope this helps
Vixxie

lgreen35
26-09-2008, 08:07 PM
hello all,
I use several styles of containers, found at hardware stores mostly. I have a large one to sit on the floor with pull out drawers-----and it has 5 to each row and 6 rows down; normally used for screws and bolts or such like. Then I found two smaller ones where the compartments are 6 high, but trays that come out and have divisions inside too. It is very cool as they swing out and you can see the contents.

Then I converted my old vitamin chests to use for the findings and such. You can get the small ones with lids on each section or larger ones with just the dividers. My tools are in an old make up bag----it all works out well!

Chris W
26-09-2008, 08:18 PM
I am impressed with how organised everyone is about storage, I am ashamed to say that I keep my beads and findings in baskets that stack from One Village, but they don't have lids and are not transparent so not really ideal. Some items I keep in plastic trifle pots which you can stack and see through but they are always falling over. Thanks for all the useful links.

auntynet
26-09-2008, 09:17 PM
I am impressed with how organised everyone is about storage,

Just cos we got the storage boxes doesn't mean we use them! :D

Delta
26-09-2008, 10:25 PM
Just cos we got the storage boxes doesn't mean we use them! :D

Ok, so where have you hidden the camera? :sm:

dbc2612
26-09-2008, 10:37 PM
I have one of these
http://thecupboard.mumsmakingmoney.net/CBS13-Stow-N-Go-Quads-Bead-Storage,name,102637,auction_id,auction_details.htm l

I have one side and my younger daughter has the other side lol

Bead Queen
29-09-2008, 06:10 PM
I have a metal thin drawer filing cabinet (8 drawer one i think) that my friends hubby had lerking in his shed, i cleaned it up and have all my beads and findings stored in that, and the 3 drawer mini ones from aldi they are brill for keeping pliers, scissors, etc in. I have one for my tools, one for my seedbeading supplies (embrodery scissors, bead scoops, wax, threads) then i have one for my swarovski beads too. Awesome drawers and they are only 4 each set.

I have a crafts mates storage bag, but havent filled it yet lol, they do the same sort of bags with organisers in them in the fishing tackle shops for fishing. A few quid cheaper than the beading ones too, so it may be worthwhile checking out your local tackle shop.

Carol XXX

Louise88
29-09-2008, 07:26 PM
I got one of these last year but mine is purple, much cheaper than all the other trolleys i'd seen, I don't know if they've redesigned them because mine falls over, but that could be to do with the weight of whats in them :D http://www.catalogue.webbivory.co.uk/page.asp?b=WIFAW2008&p=66&o=2&s=1
You could never lose it in and amongst all your craft stuff though! It's glowing!

I forgot to add, it's twenty pounds, 2 of which go to a good cause!