PDA

View Full Version : Embroidery machines

saldig
16-09-2008, 08:18 PM
Hi can any one tell me or advise me on setting the tension for embroidering. my machine is a brother 1500d any when i embroider i fine i get some puckering of the material, i have changed the tension but it still happens. Do i continue to decrease the tension or is there any other suggestions? Thanks:)

JBJB
16-09-2008, 08:32 PM
Are you using any stabiliser on the back?

If not, what sort of fabric are you embroidering on to?

Depending on what fabric and the stitch content will determine which stabiliser you should use.

Try this website - it's fantastic and you'll be on there for HOURS!

http://www.emblibrary.com/EL/elprojects/

I can give you some more help if you let me know.

saldig
17-09-2008, 10:14 AM
Hi, i am using an iron on backing but its only a light weight on, it has helped but there is still some puckering around the edges. I'm using a fairly thin fabric with quite a bit of stitch content. Does that sound as if i'm using the right stabilizer? i am very new to machine embroidery so any help would be gratefully received. Thanks
Sally:)

JBJB
17-09-2008, 10:40 AM
I think you'd be better off using a heavier stabiliser, or even a couple of layers.

Also, will the end product need to be washed? If so, you're better off using a cut-away stabiliser rather than a tear-away because the cutaway helps support the stitches better.

Definitely watch some of the instructional videos that are on the link I gave you below - they'll help you see what I mean much better.

Caroleecrafts
17-09-2008, 11:00 AM
I always use stitch and tear, either 1 or 2 layers depending on the top fabric. also make sure that the fabric and stabiliser are taught like a drum when hooped. My sister has got a Janome 11000 and is having the same problems, I use the old 9000 and do not get any puckering. Seems to be more of a problem with the newer faster machines.

saldig
17-09-2008, 12:37 PM
Hi, thanks for the response they are very helpful. I'll definately have a look on at the link you gave me. Some of the embroidery will get washed, some will be put into picture frames.
Thanks for all the help it is much appreciated.

Critchley
17-09-2008, 01:37 PM
Hi can any one tell me or advise me on setting the tension for embroidering. my machine is a brother 1500d any when i embroider i fine i get some puckering of the material, i have changed the tension but it still happens. Do i continue to decrease the tension or is there any other suggestions? Thanks:)
This is probably a silly question but do you change tension on bobbin as well as the top one. I have a brother and I have to do both.

mummycupcake
17-09-2008, 01:59 PM
I don't know anything about your machine, but with someone saying it happens on the newer, faster machines, you could try slowing your machine down a little. I can do this on mine, dont know how to and Ive never done it. I'm far to impatient to see finished result:)

saldig
17-09-2008, 06:14 PM
Hi, yes i alter the tension on the top as well as the bobbin. I just worry if i decrease it too much i will have a very loose stitch. I'm not sure if i can decrease the speed of the machine i'll have to look in the instruction book.
Thanks

JBJB
17-09-2008, 08:17 PM
I don't know your machine, but I can't adjust the tension on my embroidery machine....

I can make it go slower, but the dealer I bought it from said this can actually put more strain on your motor.

I think you need to experiment with different stabilisers.

I would also really recommend a temporary fabric adhesive spray. It allows you to use a backing without it being iron-on. The problem with iron-on is it can gum up your needle really quickly and that creates drag between the neddle and fabric which may lead to puckering.

Also, how often do you change your needle? I bought 50 machine needles off ebay for a really cheap price. They don't last that long, but it does mean I can change the needle between projects.

saldig
18-09-2008, 03:33 PM
Hi, i think i will experiment with different stabilizers i've even thought about the water soluble ones, i just need to find somewhere where the are not too expensive. I'll give ebay a look for machine needles as i haven't thought about changing them.
Thanks