PDA

View Full Version : Its a bit scarey!

handcrafted
09-09-2008, 08:13 PM
Iv been sending emails to various pottery shops/workplaces to ask for a little bit of work experience. Even a couple of hours hiding in the corner while they throw some pots.

I received an email today that is interesting but im not sure what it means. The answer to work experience is no, but they said to call and they can discuss other possibilities.....what other possibility can there be?

I know the only real way to find out is to call, but im worried that a beginner like me will look a complete twit next to professionals and im worried at what they will suggest and dont want to look like im not enthusiastic.

:nopity:

purplemac
09-09-2008, 08:18 PM
Nothing ventured nothing gained! Go for it! Because you asked for work experience, it might just be silly little jobs but you could work your way up!! You could be the potters answer to Alan Sugar!!

Good luck, Debbie

potter1
09-09-2008, 08:19 PM
well you never know til you phone...............
I am very VERY biased but potters tend to be lovely people...........!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I expect the email relates to helping out a bit in return for having a go on some of the equipment. Be brave and call them!!!

Scorch
10-09-2008, 10:08 AM
Call, them, call them!

Could be a part-time job for you there, or maybe something even better! :)

handcrafted
10-09-2008, 12:52 PM
I called the lady. She was very lovely. But couldnt offer me anything. She did suggest other options and places i could try. She says that there are not enough apprenticeships around for people wanting to get into pottery.

She also said to pop into her shop and i can have a look around. Might just do that on saturday.

Caroleecrafts
10-09-2008, 01:11 PM
ditto purplemac, give it a go, go on ring and lets us know what they said, we are waiting. Has this encouraged you enough you are not alone in this we are all here.

purplemac
10-09-2008, 03:14 PM
Oh well, it gets you in. If you hang around and be enthusiastic, you'll be the first person she'll think of when there is another opening. WELL DONE for having the bottle to get out there and do something!!

Scorch
10-09-2008, 04:50 PM
Better than nothing!

lockettpots
11-09-2008, 12:44 PM
Hi handcrafted

Powdermills Pottery in Yelverton Devon used to offer a number of work experience places.

Why don't you give them a ring on 01822 880263 ?

John

brickmaker
15-09-2008, 12:25 AM
Just curious here.... Are you after paid work experience? or Just an opportunity to have a go and hope to pick up some tips?

I only ask this as it could be a way of gaining more experience by just suggesting to the potter you are in contact with, that you want to have the opportunity of picking up some techniques/know-how in exchange for menial tasks around the pottery.

Certainly if you are trying to keep costs down your best bet is to find the experience locally.

0103media
15-09-2008, 09:44 AM
I called the lady. She was very lovely. But couldnt offer me anything. She did suggest other options and places i could try. She says that there are not enough apprenticeships around for people wanting to get into pottery.

As you may know my dad is a potter hence this forum and the craft directory.

Thinking about it, its so hard to think how it would work.. Its always the same problem with very small businesses.. It may be worth listing what you would like to get out of it e.g. the areas of interest..

Another way to go about it may be to ask if you can have a look at how the pots are made and pay a visit and ask face to face vs the email or phone.. Human contact generally works far better than email / phone.

Another major factor is timing... An example is my parents run a pottery and painting summer school so in the summer he isn't making pots to sell but teaching but in the winter months he makes all the pots.

Hope that helps..