PDA

View Full Version : nail/string art

hogey
02-09-2008, 12:30 AM
trying to find info on a art/craft tech called philograpy. the art of making pictures with nails and string. i used to do a long time ago but during moving house a few times all my books and other info has got either lost or mislaid. please help.

on another subject a friend is trying to find a fairly good mini sander for sanding handmade nameplates. any ideas please

janetdc
02-09-2008, 12:39 AM
Wow I remember those from the seventies, they were really popular then. Haven't seen one in years and have no idea how to go about it I'm afraid.:confused:

woodtattoos
02-09-2008, 10:15 AM
Wow I remember those from the seventies, they were really popular then. Haven't seen one in years and have no idea how to go about it I'm afraid.:confused:

Crikey, I remember those from the 80s! Coloured threads on boards usually covered in black felt or similar...

Si.

GonetoEarth
03-09-2008, 02:26 PM
OK - I remember those pictures my Dad used to adore them. I had a look on google for old times sake they seem to be called string art nowadays! There was a site www . stringartfun dot com It has free patterns which might help you find some clues to getting back into this.

Hope you post some pics in the gallery once you get started again!
Best of luck!

janetdc
03-09-2008, 08:29 PM
Crikey, I remember those from the 80s! Coloured threads on boards usually covered in black felt or similar...

Si.
Ok so you're a little younger than me, no need to remind me!!!:D

woodtattoos
03-09-2008, 08:47 PM
Ok so you're a little younger than me, no need to remind me!!!:D

:p :D ;) :D :p

hehehehe....

Si.

shiner
03-09-2008, 09:28 PM
With ref to the question about a sander, Amongst my tools I have a little detail sander from black & decker it has lots of profile forms to sand odd shapes I think they call it a sanding mouse without going back out to my workshop im not 100% sure

ferryman
15-09-2008, 05:49 AM
I still make those string and nail pictures , it's called Symmography by the way, Philography is collecting autographs. If anyone has a book of patterns or knows where I can buy one i would be most grateful.:)