PDA

View Full Version : Advice on buying soap supplies......

NZ Moonchild
01-09-2008, 02:18 PM
Hi there,

I am new to soap making, I have 'The Handmade Soap Book', and I'm now really keen to get going...but pretty much all the places to buy soap supplies in the back of the book are out of date.....

I'm worried about going to the wrong place to buy supplies, as the initial spend is going to be huge anyway, without risking getting a bad supplier....

Please can anybody recommend a good place to buy my set-up supplies? I'm in Port Talbot, Wales...or I can buy over the internet.

Thanks heaps

NZ Moonchild

FairyAlchemy
01-09-2008, 05:10 PM
Hi there are lots of people on here that can help with your supplies... hey gals why you not answer yet hehe.

For me its carol at soaposh, sensory perfection, justasoap and soap kitchen you can google them all..

have fun:p

NZ Moonchild
01-09-2008, 07:42 PM
Thank you for the recommendations! That will give me a few hours browsing time!

FairyAlchemy
01-09-2008, 10:46 PM
Oh might take more than a few hours... I still keep going back to have another peek.. :p

The Soap Fairy
02-09-2008, 09:19 PM
Hi
I mostly use www.thesoapkitchen.co.uk (http://www.thesoapkitchen.co.uk) and www.justasoap.co.uk (http://www.justasoap.co.uk) there is also www.soapbasics.co.uk (http://www.soapbasics.co.uk)

Hope this helps and enjoy and have fun

Beastargazer
02-09-2008, 09:42 PM
Moonchild

Just want to say hi. I am new to this myself, trying to glean bits of information here and there, feel free to ask me anything, you never know I may just have come across what you are looking for. I have just ordered some stuff thru just a soap, they seemed OK.

Didin't spot your post last night was watching tele, heehee.

Theresa
xxx:)

NZ Moonchild
02-09-2008, 10:06 PM
Well, I have started to wade my way through some of the sites.....I think I will have to not be so greedy and redo my wanted list for only 2 batches of soap......I had about 20 different types of soap on my list I wanted to try.......but its going to cost a fortune! I am a very clean person........but not THAT clean.....what would I do with it all anyway????? I have a feeling this could become addictive!

What types of soap do you recommend as a beginner batch?

The Soap Fairy
03-09-2008, 01:19 PM
Hi NZ Moonchild

I make melt and pour which is what you do melt it and pour it. I starting by buying a kit from www.justasoap.co.uk (http://www.justasoap.co.uk) which comes with some soap base, mould, plus you can choose fragrance and colour. This will give you a taste for making the soap - I then got totally hooked making soaps as gifts and presents for family and friends then got my certification so I could sell.

Comforts & Candles
08-09-2008, 12:30 AM
I was just going to suggest Soaposh too... She's got oodles of soap bases for M&P including some exclusive SLS free ones that she's had manufactured...

If you want any advice then drop her a line and she'll be more than happy to help...

I don't do a lot of M&P but I get it all from her... Fragrances - check out Jo's range of UK cosmetic oils at Sensory Perfection...

HTH x

kinglake
09-09-2008, 02:59 PM
i started by buying a kit from hobbycraft it wasnt cheap but got me interested enough that i have been buying supplies ,the one thing i am finding rather expensive is the essential oils. any ideas on where to buy them cheaply? xx jo xx

NZ Moonchild
11-09-2008, 02:13 PM
Well, I have decided to jump straight in and try a simple recipe from the book.....I always did like a challenge! At least I don't have to buy to much to make it....

As you say, the highest cost is the essential oils! I have found a couple of places on line that do 100mL of Lavendar Oil for approx. 16.00 plus postage, Amphora Aromatics (you need to call to order these volumes) and Norfolk Essential Oils......or I found 100mL of Lavendar Oil for 5.00 plus postage on Ebay.....I wonder which I will try....:)

Next to find Sodium Hydroxide.......

kinglake
11-09-2008, 04:51 PM
Well, I have decided to jump straight in and try a simple recipe from the book.....I always did like a challenge! At least I don't have to buy to much to make it....

As you say, the highest cost is the essential oils! I have found a couple of places on line that do 100mL of Lavendar Oil for approx. 16.00 plus postage, Amphora Aromatics (you need to call to order these volumes) and Norfolk Essential Oils......or I found 100mL of Lavendar Oil for 5.00 plus postage on Ebay.....I wonder which I will try....:)

is that Lye? if so i havent got a clue where you would get that from,,,,i am stuck on finding Epsom salts :mf: xx jo xx

jode
11-09-2008, 05:27 PM
Oh another soapper.......yey we're starting to take over, fantastic!!!
Your going to LOVE finding out about all the different oils and butters that are available out there.....
My friend and I make cold prosses soaps and we're also big fans of the soap kitcthen, but we also source lots of our ingredients from local sellers too.

Have fun making a mess, but most of all be stay safe this can be hazardous.

Jode
x

NZ Moonchild
11-09-2008, 08:33 PM
I'm pretty sure that you can get epsom salts from the chemist....at least in New Zealand you do.......hope that helps?

NZ Moonchild
11-09-2008, 08:36 PM
Oh another soapper.......yey we're starting to take over, fantastic!!!
Your going to LOVE finding out about all the different oils and butters that are available out there.....
My friend and I make cold prosses soaps and we're also big fans of the soap kitcthen, but we also source lots of our ingredients from local sellers too.

Have fun making a mess, but most of all be stay safe this can be hazardous.

Jode
x

Tell me about it! I have spent about a year looking at books and ingredients.....I am only now about to take the leap into making! I think I have delayed because once you start....how can you stop! As soon as I decide what to make, I see something else that looks fantastic! No more buying Christmas presents! Soap for everybody!

Thanks for safety advice....I planning on making this an after baby is in bed hobby!

The Soap Fairy
11-09-2008, 09:03 PM
is that Lye? if so i havent got a clue where you would get that from,,,,i am stuck on finding Epsom salts :mf: xx jo xx

www.justasoap.co.uk (http://www.justasoap.co.uk) - this is where i get epsom salts from

jode
12-09-2008, 12:47 PM
Tell me about it! I have spent about a year looking at books and ingredients.....I am only now about to take the leap into making! I think I have delayed because once you start....how can you stop! As soon as I decide what to make, I see something else that looks fantastic! No more buying Christmas presents! Soap for everybody!

Thanks for safety advice....I planning on making this an after baby is in bed hobby!

I'm telling you.......soappings the way to go!!!
You know it may seem a little daunting at first, but honestly theres nothing to fear......as long as you "respect" (lol...soz!) the lye you'll be fine and ye kinda get used to wearing them silly goggels!

Best to stick to a simple base at 1st with like a nice olive oil and a few lovely butters, then split your base up at trace to make few different scents....make sure you've got you molds ready first, speaking from experience lol..!! *blush*

Next step shampoos....yey!!

Jode x

willow973
14-09-2008, 08:11 PM
Hi every one

Just to say a business called bath bomb biz sells alot of this stuff as well as companies already listed before. Other soapers may have a different view but I always check out ebay for soap moulds - sometimes you can pick up real bargains !

Hope that helps

Belinda

~Laura~
15-09-2008, 11:15 AM
i get my moulds, soap base and some fragrance oils from ebay. I've found it to be cheaper than places like justasoap and soapkitchen. I do still buy from them, but only when i need things in bulk

Sheabutter Cottage
15-09-2008, 07:09 PM

I don't know where you are based but you can find sodium hydroxide aka caustic soda from most hardware shops.

astleysoapco
16-09-2008, 05:55 PM
I use justasoap ever so often, but INOVIA more.

NZ Moonchild
22-09-2008, 04:00 PM
Hi there,

Can you give me more search details for Inovia, I can't find a website....thanks!

astleysoapco
22-09-2008, 10:33 PM
Hi

Inovia dont have a website. Its only cheap if you buy in big amounts from them. If you dont, you might as well just buy from someone like justasoap.co.uk. Inovia information:

Tel: 01780 782 319.

They are the real supplier to go with, and there is not messing around. Prices are very very good if ordering in large amounts.

When you ring, its good to ask for a cotalgue first.

I also have many more other suppliers that supply in bulk. I do still buy from justasoap.co.uk on some occasions. However, a few times I ordered that much stuff from just a soap (pallet loads), the labels and company information is kept on the goods. All it takes is a little research!!!

Hope this helps.

James

astleysoapco
22-09-2008, 10:44 PM
ill add another supplier.....I like to help people!!

Dont buy the expensive soap base from Invoia, but it from h Foster.

It dosnt say that they sell soap base, you need to ring them and they will give you a price per 20kg bucket. Were talkin cheap, I mean cheap. Its the same stuff that is sold on justasoap.co.uk (there clear soap base).

http://www.hfoster.co.uk/products.htm

good luck...

Bath-Bomb.Com
23-09-2008, 07:50 AM
I buy a lot of my supplies from Soap Kitchen but also find that soapmakers-store (dot com) are very reasonable (I think they might be related in some way to Innovia but I'm not sure). A lot of their prices for oils and butters are much cheaper than other suppliers.

Sodium Hydroxide and Potassium Hydroxide can be purchased from the saop kichen and when you start making in Bulk the soap kitchen has the best fragrance oils at the best prices. For Essential Oils I go to Ancient Wisdom anything up to 500mls and the prices are really good - might only sell to trade though.

Hope this helps

Judi

astleysoapco
23-09-2008, 02:02 PM
the soap kicthen are good for small amounts. The soap Kitchen I really very very expensive comapred to other companies. I cut out the middle man e.g the soap kitchen, and buy it from where the soap kicthen buy it from. The soap kicthen have nothing to do with Inovia. Invoia is a global orgainsiation that have plants in Australia and Canada. All over the world really. I will give you another supplier, I have many more if you want any help.....

Plastic containers etc...

DORMEX. Do a google search on DORMEX. They allow very small min orders. Enjoy! More profit for the producer!

If you require any other cheap wholesale places just ask......I am more than happy to help.

NZ Moonchild
23-09-2008, 07:41 PM
Thank you so much! So much information! What a fantastic hobby to get into!

Thanks again!

Lara

Peter
23-09-2008, 09:39 PM
ill add another supplier.....I like to help people!!

You've certainly helped inovia. ;) Can we make this the last post mentioning your suppliers please? If anyone wants further info about suppliers maybe they could PM you? :) Thanks.

astleysoapco
24-09-2008, 05:48 PM
no probs!!!!!

NZ Moonchild
21-10-2008, 04:08 PM
Hi there,

I am new to soap making, I have 'The Handmade Soap Book', and I'm now really keen to get going...but pretty much all the places to buy soap supplies in the back of the book are out of date.....

I'm worried about going to the wrong place to buy supplies, as the initial spend is going to be huge anyway, without risking getting a bad supplier....

Please can anybody recommend a good place to buy my set-up supplies? I'm in Port Talbot, Wales...or I can buy over the internet.

Thanks heaps

NZ Moonchild

This is just to say a huge THANK YOU! for everybodys help! I have successfully made two batches of soap so far, the easiest, basic one, worked, but will need to be re-batched as its too crumbly...but my olive oil one worked perfectly!!!!!

What a buzz!

I have also made (not overly successfully) bath fizzies....I think I'm a bit heavy handed with the water sprayer! They expand in the moulds!

Oh well, its just fantastic to be trying these things out!!!

Thanks again!!!!

ElaineJ
22-10-2008, 02:47 PM
For interesting oils, butters and other additives take a look at:

http://www.fresholi.co.uk/ (http://www.fresholi.co.uk/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1)

http://www.akuawood.co.uk/home.php

http://www.gracefruit.com/scripts/default.asp

http://www.ofasimplenature.webeden.co.uk/