PDA

View Full Version : fizzy bath salts advice please

esme
23-08-2008, 01:06 PM
Hello,

I watched one of those youtube clips that showed a lady making some fizzy bath salts.
She basically mixed the dead sea salt with fragrance oils then added baking powder and citric acid - popped them in a jar, done.

But when i attempt to do the same thing, the citric acid starts to react and I end up with a gunky mess!

Does anyone make fizzy bath salts and if so any advice would be great.
Perhaps I need to let the salt + fragrance oil mixture sit for a couple of days to air out? But I'm afraid it will lose the strength of the fragrance.

I've also been playing around with making bath salts. I mix dendritic salt with the fragrance oils then work in with epsom, dead sea salts + baking powder. Even if I let the dendritic salt mix sit over night before combining everything together they clump in the jar pretty badly.
Any advice on this would be great too. Thanks!

deedoo
23-08-2008, 05:32 PM
Hi,

You need to let the salt and fragrance mix air out for at least a week before adding the bicarb and citric.

regards

sue

The Soap Fairy
23-08-2008, 05:51 PM
I had same sort of problem when i tried to make fairy dust - basically same mixture as a bath bomb. I made a batch put in jars so chuffed with myself -picked up kids from school and was a lump in jar had to throw all away. Adviced seeked from forum.

It might be worth making as 2 separate - make up bicarb and citric acid with fragrance and colour you then leave to dry out for a day or so then put in a bag think of someone that drives you nuts and bash the hell out of it with a rolling pin - it then breaks up into a powder ideal for sprinkling in the bath and fizzing. You could then make up the salts at same time and then add together. (does that make sense). Why is it things do not work how you want them the first time - I have given up on bath bombs!!!

Good luck

thebaglady
23-08-2008, 08:47 PM
Moisture is going to trigger a reaction so you definitely have to mix things separately and dry them out well. Don't worry about the fragrance - it will still be there and is released when it hits hot water anyway.

FairyAlchemy
25-08-2008, 10:17 PM
I second thebaglady...

I fragrance my salt and keep in a ziplock bag for a few days then have it open for a bit.. I add the bicarb first just in case there's a minute amount of moisture that gets it first.. Then citric.. (keep a rolling pin handy in case)..

:)

esme
26-08-2008, 04:25 PM
Thank you for your replies.

I will try airing it out for a week before adding the citric acid.
At least I don't feel like it's so humid these days so hopefully it will air out well.

deedoo
26-08-2008, 04:41 PM
Just a note to say that because you use a dendritic salt you should no have much trouble with any fragrance loss.

AndreaWright
02-09-2008, 03:22 PM
Hi Everyone,

My names Andrea and this is my first post on your forum so I hope I'm in the right place doing the right thing.

I have just started making bath salts but I'm having trouble getting dendritic salt. I ordered some from America but it never came.:mad:

Does anyone know a reliable supplier?

craftyme_01
12-09-2008, 12:07 AM
When making fizzing bath salts, you have to make sure that all ingredients are dry. Remember that the fizzing action of these bath salts starts when exposed to water. Even a small amount of mixture would trigger this even before putting it in the tub. you can find other bath salt recipes

specialgirl7876
07-10-2008, 10:44 AM
Hi
How do you work out how much EO/FO to use? I understand it to be about 5%, but not sure how to convert the ml of EO to g/oz of salt.....I'm also having trouble finding dendritic salt, is it really necessary?
Thanks
Fran

jessjane
25-02-2009, 06:06 AM
Hi,

You need to let the salt and fragrance mix air out for at least a week before adding the bicarb and citric.

regards

sue Yeah I agree with you. May be after a week acid all effect will gone and you make a good soap.

I tell you a fizzy Lavender bath salts recipe.

2 cups epsom salts
1 cup baking soda
cup citric acid
optional: equal parts red and blue food coloring
10-20 drops of lavender essential oil

Combine epsom salts with baking soda, then stir in enough food coloring and drops of essential oil to achieve the desired color and scent. Mix very well, then add citric acid and stir again, very thoroughly. Bottle and store in a dry location.

Simply the best.

jenny_adams
26-02-2009, 05:45 PM
I didn't know you could make bath salts, will try to make some myself, thank you!