PDA

View Full Version : IMPORTING FROM THE US?

raspberrybloom
14-10-2005, 09:21 PM
Hi everyone,

I am looking for silver charms and I can only find US sites which have a large selection. However, I am a little worried about importing from the USA due to the shipping costs.

Has anyone got any advice or know of aby UK silver charm suppliers??

Thanks you,

Lou

stillscrapping
15-10-2005, 05:48 PM
As a scrapbook retailer I deal with USA quite a bit. As a rule I have no problems but make sure you get an idea of the shipping costs before you order. Some are fantastic and ship quickly others have astronomical charges. Watch out for customs charges as well !!

Julie

Seahorse
17-10-2005, 10:25 AM
Oh, I have this problem too.I hate dealing with site abroad.One place charged $75 for a few bags of rhinestones!!I asked for postal delivery which bought itdown to $5!!Im also still waiting for an order i placed with them a year ago!!

Anyhoo, fab places to look are on ebay, one user name is chooz sooz,or www.pewtercharms.co.uk who have a site(clearly) or they also sell on ebay, very good prices and you can buy them individually.
Also craftypastimes are great too.

Seahorse
17-10-2005, 10:39 AM
The pewter charms user name on ebay is mcfec260573

Bea
20-10-2005, 07:59 AM
I don't like ordering from the US because of customs too but if you ask USPS, it sometimes makes a big difference. I found the UPS and Fedex clearance charge to be some of the highest. Customs charges is more often than not the VAT, which you would pay in the UK in any case. So when buying from the US, check shipping cost, request USPS if you can and add the VAT just in case you do have to pay it, in order to have a more realistic cost for your beads/charms.

stillscrapping
21-10-2005, 11:24 PM
I have a supplier who uses UPS and I have to say they are pretty abysmal!! I have yet to get a package delivered on the correct day. This really annoys me as you can track it and see when it is 'out for delivery' so you wait in all day and it doesn't turn up!!

Have real issues with UPS at times.

Julie

Bea
21-10-2005, 11:37 PM
Ouch! Got another invoice from Fedex... Fedex not only charged me VAT but also Duty which not all couriers do. This may be because they are passing charges they have paid but I rarely pay Duty, I always pay VAT if I have to pay anything. DHL sometimes charge Duty, and UPS, well it's their clearance fee that shocked me!

I am trying to avoid any US supplier who doesn't use USPS.
Have you tried to ask for USPS, stillscrapping?

Tranquility80
26-07-2006, 09:20 PM
I deal with the US quite alot and so far have had no problems. Sounds like i'm one of the lucky ones. All I would suggest is get the cost of P&P first. Oh and by the way watch out for customs.