• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gigglinggoblin
    100+ crafts club
    • Aug 2008

Timing to start a business, need some help

First post so hello to everyone!

I have decided I would like to sell my crafts on etsy/folksy as there is no chance I will be able to go out and get a job any time soon. And it sounds a lot more fun than going back to office work. I'm not expecting to make a huge amount but anything is better than nothing!

My question is this - I have been buying supplies for over a month now but have not listed anything to sell. I know I have 3 months to register as self employed, but if I register at a date later than that on the invoices I have kept will that mean I cannot use those invoices? This may all be irrelevant anyway as I doubt I will go above the threshold for tax but I would like to know. And if I register at the earlier date then will that make any difference to me?

Really appreciate any words of wisdom
    flickr
    blog
    my website
    etsy
  • sherrielinda
    Mega Crafter
    • Apr 2008

hi

hello & but sorry can't help with the question.
    My blog http://setters-delight.blogspot.com

Folksy http://www.justgifts.folksy.com

Comment

• PeggyCrafts
      500+ Crafters Club
      • Mar 2008

I have a feeling you need to do it as soon as possible, otherwise you may be liable to pay a fine at the end of the year (although this probably doesn't apply if you are not yet selling) - better to do it sooner rather than later I think, though - you just need to ring the Inland Revenue number for the newly self-employed hope this helps

Helen

Visit my blog!
      http://peggycrafts.blogspot.com/

www.peggycrafts.co.uk

Etsy shop:
      www.peggycrafts.etsy.com

Comment

• Jo Lovejoy
        Mega Crafter
        • Jul 2008

Hello and to the forum. Sorry I can't help with your question, I'm sure someone will be along soon who can answer it for you.

Jo x
        Things to make and do
        Things to make and do's Facebook page
        Michael Lovejoy's Art

Comment

• gigglinggoblin
          100+ crafts club
          • Aug 2008

Thanks for all the welcomes, I have been having a good browse round the site and its fab

I dont really have time to do much atm due to summer hols so I was hoping to put it off til at least September then see how things go, I dont want a load of paperwork if I never sell anything! Taxman is scary, dont want to get it wrong <<quiver>>
          flickr
          blog
          my website
          etsy

Comment

• Recycled Bag Lady
            100+ crafts club
            • Jul 2008

Do register as soon as possible. They are very helpful to new, self employeds! They send out a very useful folder with all your info and details of courses you can go on. Also, you need to keep your national insurance payments up to date so that you would still be entitled to sick pay/maternity pay if needed. You can do your tax returns online and they are very simple. I put everything onto a basic spreadsheet in Excel so it's just a case of transferring amounts when doing my tax return.
            Cathy xx
            http://folksy.com/shops/Cathy
            http://www.recycledbaglady.co.uk/
            http://owlfamilydiary.blogspot.com/
            I don't have a short attention span, I ... Ooh look, there's a chicken!

Comment

• elainem
              So much more than a moderate crafter
              • Aug 2008

from previous experience you need to register asap, i left it 3 months and had to pay £100 fine. I certainly didnt break the threshold either. sorry to be the bearer of bad news

Elaine

Comment

• gigglinggoblin
                100+ crafts club
                • Aug 2008

Flippin eck! Dont want a fine, will have to get on the phone. Good to know they are helpful, I guess its in their interests to be but I'm still scared! Will def keep a spreadsheet, that hadnt occured to me
                flickr
                blog
                my website
                etsy

Comment

• ladyluckjewellery
                  Super crafter
                  • Nov 2007

Hi,

Welcome to the forum

I beleive that you have up to 3 months to register as self employed from the date you begin 'trading' i.e, the date when you decide you want to be a business from. This must be BEFORE you have sold anything.

I hope that makes sense - to give you an example, I have always made bits & bobs, but last year I decided to go for it and sell my work, so during September I decided what I would call myself as a business, bought the domain name, loads of supplies and equipment etc. I then told HMRC in early October that I had begun 'trading' at the beginning of Sept, that way my receipts for expenses inccurred in Sept could be offset against my profit for the year.

If I had told them that my start date was in October, all of my costs incurred during September would not have been allowed to be counted in my business expenses.

I do hope that makes sense and that it helps to answer your Q

Claire
                  Website; www.midshiresmakers.co.uk
                  Facebook Pages: www.facebook.com/weedoncraftmarket
                  www.facebook.com/craftshoppingexperience

Comment

• 0103media
                    Administrator
                    Try and catch up with this one.. What a crafter!!!
                    • Sep 2004

3 months is the rule...

basically from the day you register - 3months anything before that you can't set against tax e.g. materials etc..

The only way to do it more than 3 months is to pay the £100 fine.. Some simple maths to work out if its worth the fine or just write off those expenses..

This is only the case if you haven't sold anything..

It really doesn't hurt to register..

If you wish to start selling then the first thing to do is register before buying anything..

hope that helps.. and to the craftsforum

Promote your craft site today : Add Your CRAFTS
                    (£5.50 a month or £50 per year)

Fun new blog: Snowboard Stuff

Comment

• ARI
                      • Sep 2007

Guys,
                      I really need your help here.
                      I was reading this thread and I'm getting more and more confused..
                      I've called up the HM about 4 times to ask few things about registering as a partnership or sole trader.The first issue was the address of the partnership.Like most of the tennants I can't run business from home, so I purchased an address from Royal Mail (POBox).
                      Here the results:
                      -Once they told me I can't register with a PO Box
                      -2,1/2 times (the 3d time wasn't clear,the guy was more confused than me) they told me "well...why not?"
                      As I asked if I could put my private address, given the clause of the "no business from home by contract"they mouned something that didn't make any sense.
                      Plus, and maybe Media can help me here,thay told me that I MUST START TRADING FIRST, and then register within 3 months (and not the other way round)..but how can I issue an invoice if I'm not registered?
                      Please, someone help me, as I'm getting desperate..everything is getting ready for the start-up (website, bookings at fair,..)and Ijust feel like giving up, as I can't see things clearly..
                      Any help would be really appreciated.
                      Thanks
                      ari
                      xx ary
                      www.petitechacal.com
                      http://somuchlife-petitechacal.blogspot.com/
                      www.petitechacal.etsy.com

Comment

• woodtattoos
                        Super Moderator
                        Try and catch up with this one.. What a crafter!!!
                        • Sep 2007

to the Forum, you're in the right place to get those questions answered.... it doesn't seem that long ago that I was asking the same ones myself.

Si.
                        Wood Tattoos
                        Decorative Pyrography for all Occasions - Author of "Woodburning with Style" (2010) and "Learn to Burn" (2013)
                        Facebook
                        Flickr
                        Twitter

Comment

• ARI
                          • Sep 2007

Yes, you wouldn't say so looking at your gorgeous website...
                          Really fab things!!
                          How did you sort out all these...empasse?
                          xx ary
                          www.petitechacal.com
                          http://somuchlife-petitechacal.blogspot.com/
                          www.petitechacal.etsy.com

Comment

Working...
                          X