PDA

View Full Version : What's the deal with zips?

JBJB
15-08-2008, 01:39 PM
I'm going to bite the bullet and try and start getting my head round zips.

I've just been on ebay.... OMG!

What is continuous zip and how does it work?

I want to try and make some little purses for Christmas so I only want about 4 inch long ones.

Do I need open ended? Invisible? Help!

Also - are there any better suppliers than ebay??

Rudi
15-08-2008, 02:10 PM
Im not sure what a continuos zip is but if your making purses you'll need a closed end zip, this is one that is sealed at the end so it wont come apart when you zip it open. I made the mistake of buying an open end one when i was making my first bag and now i have to open it very carefuly otherwise i have to faff around trying to close it back up again!!
An open ended zip is one you would use on a zip up jumper or something.
Rudi:D

sillyoldbear
15-08-2008, 02:54 PM
A continuous zip is used by upholsterers when they're making sofa cushions etc. I bought some zips from a small co called www.ribbonmoon.co.uk (http://www.ribbonmoon.co.uk) they sell all kinds and at reasonable price AND they came within a couple of days.

Sharon

knitnstitchsue
15-08-2008, 09:16 PM
Abakhan (http://www.abakhan-online.co.uk) sell the continuous zip. You buy it by the metre and the closers separately. They also sell the little 4" (approx) zips for purses, etc. (in the shop, I haven't checked online)
Earlier this year, I bought a few 50p bags that contained an assortment of zips - about 12-16 nylon, various lengths, including 4" and other bags containing 5 open-ended zips, 10" to 28". Fantastic value!!

purplemac
16-08-2008, 12:20 PM
If you can't find the right sized zip, you can make it shorter by sewing up the end and cutting off the excess. Make sure you use a REALLY strong thread though because it takes a lot of welly when the zip bit hits it!

I do it a lot and just match the thread, sew it over and over the teeth (until your happy with it being strong enough) Then tie off as normal. Job done.:)

JBJB
17-08-2008, 09:19 PM
Wahey!
I just won 50 x 5 inch zips on ebay for 6.50 with free p&p
Bargain!

Now I just have to faff about waiting for poo-pal to let me in and pay for them!

Thanks everyone for your help ... I can't wait to have a go at making some purses - at least I've got enough zips to make mistakes with!

Critchley
17-08-2008, 09:25 PM
Oh good, we can all 'zip up' and go home for the night now then lol

Joking aside 6.50 is pretty good.

JBJB
29-10-2008, 08:08 PM
I have now mastered the art of zips !!!

I would like to put some in the bottom of my doorstops so that I can post them un-filled.

Do I need an invisible zip?

I want it to be in the middle of the bottom square, rather than in a side seam?

Ta for any more help!

knitnstitchsue
30-10-2008, 12:11 AM
As you're putting the zip in the bottom of your doorstops, and therefore, it will not really be on show, you could use any kind of insertion method.
An invisible zip is ideal for putting in a seam, of a skirt or trousers. Personally, I'd go for the single flap method and stick to the normal nylon zips.
This youTube video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UF5GhKOg5Gs) shows you some different methods.

JBJB
30-10-2008, 10:21 AM
Thanks Sue - thats really helpful.
Why do I get the feeling I'm at the bottom of a steep learning curve!?
:D

knitnstitchsue
30-10-2008, 10:51 AM
Thanks Sue - thats really helpful.
Why do I get the feeling I'm at the bottom of a steep learning curve!?
:D

You're welcome :)

And as for the learning ...... I'm muuuuuch older than you .... and still learning!
Wouldn't life be boring if we thought we'd learned enough? :D