PDA

View Full Version : How much should a card cost?

craftyfox
29-09-2005, 01:51 PM
How much do you think a single handmade card should cost? This is excluding any postage, customisations or packs. People I've spoken to so far seem to have wildly differing opions on this.

Cheers, crafty-fox.

Seahorse
29-09-2005, 03:13 PM
That is a toughy!

Sometimes I look at mass produced cards and think they shouldnt be more than 50p, due to the subject matter,artwork, condition of them etc.
But then again in WHSmiths they are very stylish, off very good quality and cover a variety of subjects.Im always surprised at the price of them and like to check before I commit myself to limit shock.
Musical cards cost around 4 which knocks my socks off so I try to avoid them.

Absolutely no offence to us crafty people but I feel some people look at handmade items and see them as inferior to mass produced things.Its almost as tho if the item wasnt made in a big factory then they can be good quality or they arnt aestheticly pleasing enough, or the recipient wont like them.

I think the pricing of an item should start at how much the products were to make the item.
This becomes very annoying when Id like to charge the buyer the whole 4 it cost me to buy the embossing powder when really I should charge about 5p for the ammount I used.

So, materials used, time taken to make, then the fact that its hand made and therefore a one off or limited edition could come into play as well.

Ive seen sites were handmade earrings are being sold for $80-$120 , they are beautiful but I cant work out why.Is it because they are hand made and one offs or because of the materials use?Or other factors.

I think yuo have done a good thing by asking people, maybe write out a survey for your friends to help you out.Show them a number of your cards and ask how much theyd pay and why.

It could be all about quality and word of mouth.Sometimes I watch antique programmes and find the ugliest piece of pottery has a value in the hundreds.

Keep us posted of your results.

Tigger
02-10-2005, 05:43 PM
I think this is a difficult one. I filled in 1-2 but it really depends on the quality I guess too. It also depends on the occasion. For someones birthday, I will normally only spend 1-2 on a card, however say it was something like a wedding, and the card is good quality, unusual, and VERY applicable to that person, I might spend as much as 4. Its not that the card might not be worth more than this, I just couldn't afford to spend that much on a card.

Tigger
xxxxxxxx

Athena
22-10-2005, 09:50 PM
It had shrink plastic embellishments on it and personalised with the Happy Couples initials. The person who commissioned it said that is as much as she would have paid for any card in a shop so I thought I couldnt ask more than that anyway.
Another card I made a year or so ago was a very personalised 70 birthday card, with decoupage and with Mum on it as the person who asked me to make it hadn't been able to find one with 70 and Mum on it. I asked 2.50 but the person who had commissioned it gave me 3.00 :D

It always depends on how much work I have put into the card as well as the materials I have used.
I am working on getting more commissions soon. Every card I make is totally unique. I also keep a photographic record of them all so I am building my portfolio to show the sort of work I do.

Tigger
23-10-2005, 10:06 PM
I think 3.50 for a wedding card is fine, cause actually its such a special occasion.

Good idea making cards to order as it were

Love
Sue
xxxxxxx

janette
25-10-2005, 12:37 PM
I didn't take part in the poll as I would have ticked everybox.

I do a range of cards, starting with basic, simple cards at 1.00 up to very fancy personalised cards at 4.50.

I think the price depends on alot of factors as has been said, cost of materials, time taken to make and also how personalised the card is. I would charge 3.50 for a wedding card but the same card with the bride and grooms names on would cost 4.50. (extra time to personalise)

I found it was a case of trial and error when I first started, people do tend to tell you if they they think your cards are too cheap or ooexpensive.

But one thing to remember is that some people are just tight and would complain regardless.

Janette

Bea
26-10-2005, 12:40 AM
I agree with others here, I would pay 1-2 for birthdays but up to 3-4 for Anniversaries / Weddings....

so I didn't tick anything either :oops: :roll:

steffy
10-11-2005, 10:22 PM
Hi Everyone

After plucking up the courage to approach some businesses about selling my cards I was really disappointed that nobody seemed interested. I rang a few places after leaving samples and they said the main thing they didnt like was the ' stick on writing' (peel offs to us cardmakers!)

After a long search I finally found an alternative on ebay. You buy the cards and they come with a ready made foiled greeting.Low and behold I went back to a few places and i am now selling at two venues and they are selling at 2.95!!!! yipee. I think this was down to a more professional finish.

I have been getting them ever since so just wanted to share it with everyone. I think the ebay shop link is www clares-cards.co.uk but if you typed in hot foiled cards Im sure it will come up.

I have just ordered some Christmas ones so fingers crossed.

Bye for now.

Auntysally
10-11-2005, 10:50 PM
definately 2-3 yoh have to allow for the time spent creating it - and it still loads cheaper than what they sell them for in high street shops!

lori
10-11-2005, 11:08 PM
I think if the quality is really good then 2 - 3 would be a reasonable price to pay.

It does just look like you have then taken your time to choose something really impressive.

Sakvoyaj
10-01-2006, 11:25 AM
I guess it depends what kind of card your are getting
poor, easy made can cost around 2 pounds
the ones , which you can find on my website-must be at least 3.5 pounds
http://www.sakvoyaj-cards.com
But , I can sell those cards for 1.8 $ in bulk orders
its around 1.2 pounds
why so cheap-the production is in Ukraine
and believe me, the cards are much better from what youve see before

jo's hubby
13-01-2006, 11:08 PM
At least 2 people will pay 5 for aspecial card in smiths but wont buy a proper handmade one for that money its crazy

emmarulz91
17-01-2006, 09:05 AM
It depends doesnt it? how much you use and how big the card is. but some ppl pay a lot for handmade cards!!!!!!

beadsbydesign
01-02-2006, 10:39 AM
How much SHOULD a card cost?
I sometimes feel that people just don't get it!
I have a pitch at a local producers market and sell my individually handcrafted / hand painted cards for 1.00. I still get people who think that is expensive. I have other poeple who say "I wouldn't buy a hand made card, it looks cheap!" They are the people who would think nothing of going into M&S and paying 3.00 for a card.

Seahorse
01-02-2006, 10:45 AM
Well said, you stick to your guns and put your prices up!!
It amazes me how some people see mass produced things to be more 'worthy' than hand made.

It always reminds me of hand sewn american quilts.The amount of fabric, time and effort put into those things would put its price in the hundreds or thousands, yet nobody would pay that.

0103media
01-02-2006, 11:01 AM
How much SHOULD a card cost?
I sometimes feel that people just don't get it!
I have a pitch at a local producers market and sell my individually handcrafted / hand painted cards for 1.00. I still get people who think that is expensive. I have other poeple who say "I wouldn't buy a hand made card, it looks cheap!" They are the people who would think nothing of going into M&S and paying 3.00 for a card.

You tell them.. !!
:D :D :D

LadyLora
12-08-2008, 12:12 AM
I have been thinking for a good while on this one as i am (hopefully) going to do my first craft fair in november and i think iv come to the decision that i will charge 2 per card or 3 cards for 5. Is this a fair price do you think?????

LadyLora
12-08-2008, 12:13 AM
No pun intended LOL- 'FAIR price' :mf:

auntynet
12-08-2008, 12:34 AM
I've always considered myself to be a bit of a cheapskate . . . . . .

until I started making jewellery.

A couple of years ago I would only spend a upto 1 for someone like a work colleague and upto 2 for a family member, maybe a bit more for a special occasion.

What I find now is that I only buy hand made cards for someone that I know will appreciate what's gone into it and because of that I'm quite happy to pay anything up to 5 for something that's personalised.

indri
12-08-2008, 10:13 AM
I wouldn't spend more than 2 for a card of an average size. I once saw a quilled card in a craft workshop that was 10! Fair enough it had quite a bit of work on it, but it was not for any particular special one off occassion and I would rather put the 10 towards a gift, rather than a card that might be considered a "throwaway item" by the recipient.

Tip Top
12-08-2008, 10:55 AM
This is a bit of an old thread.......;)

Caroleecrafts
14-08-2008, 08:32 AM
My cards cost from 2.00 to 10.00 dependent on the content and if commissioned.

If a card takes 1 hour to make I am not going to sell for less than 8.00, I think that my cards and there quality speak for themselves, you either buy or don't.

Most of my cards are commissioned and I can offer the wording both inside and outside specifically to the recipient. Just did a card recently for my neighbours DH birthday, he is a Watford supporter (someone has got to be) and she wrote a poem about the club and their life together for the inside, as she said you could not go to a shop and get this.

My cheaper cards I have at craft fairs with samples of the special ones in an album but offer a service whereby I sit down with the customer for personalisation etc.

I will however not used pre designed toppers as I think this is a cop out and certainly not really hand made.

e-s-cards
14-08-2008, 08:17 PM
This is a really tricky question to find the answer to!

What I did, at first, is charge between 1.10 and 1.70, depending on the size, quality and material cost. Then I decided to have a look on some other websites which sell cards, and they range from 1.50 to 13.00!

I don't like to charge too much for my cards, but I do want to make a profit, as well as pay for the materials.

What I did do was charge according to the size of the card (eg 1.25 C6 1.50 medium 1.75 C5). But at the moment, I am charging according to a code system, where AA is 1.50 and EE (embroidered bead cards) are 3.00. That seems to be working well at the moment.

One thing you must not allow yourself to do, is be put off by other sellers. Remember that your existing clients are not likely to stop buying your cards because the prices have changed. When I first started I was worried that I was charging more than others, but now I see that they are my cards, and I should charge what I feel is right.

Hope this helps?

Ethan :)

surudesu
17-08-2008, 04:56 AM
Hi everyone,

In addition to trying to come up with the cost of one card for example. Is there any way to quantify a profit margin? How much profit would one be making off of just one card?:)

Koolcrafts
26-08-2008, 10:04 AM
The shop that sells mine charge 3.50 - I get 1.50.

vInTaGe VioLeT
01-09-2008, 12:37 AM
i have sold my personalised commisioned cards for 7.50 for A5 and 6.00 for A6 - they take alot of time and a lot of work so i don't really make any money.
i would post a picture but i don't think i can :confused:

auntynet
01-09-2008, 12:43 AM
i would post a picture but i don't think i can :confused:

Why not? I just copied and pasted a pic from your blog page but then decided that it wasn't my place to post pics of your stuff so I deleted the pic out of this post.

Go ahead Violet, you can do it. :D

LizS
01-09-2008, 07:28 AM
Hi,
Been sitting reading this thread with great interest. Got into card-making a few months ago and have been getting a few regular commissions. The first one I made, I didn't have a clue how much to charge. The materials themselves can be costly when you buy you initial stock, but it's not just materials you have to think about. You have to think about extra costs like use of printer, glue, cutting machine etc. they all add up. Then there's the time factor. I watch craft channels and they rattle up a card in no time at all - I certainly can't do that. But they have already decided what they're going to do, have everything all ready and waiting, anything to be cut is cut for them. We crafters have to do all that ourselves. But before we even make the card, there's a big thought process - who can say how long that takes. I know I've often woken up in the middle of the night with an idea for a card. Obviously, I can't charge people for sleepless nights, but I think the main selling point for any crafter is the thought behind the item if that makes sense. (I've been awake since 4.30, so it might not!). What I mean is we are selling our creativeness, something which is unique, not just something that anyone could buy in a chain of shops up and down the country. So I don't think anyone should sell themselves short. I can't believe it when I read that people are selling their handmade cards for a pound!

That first card I made - I was thinking of selling it at about 2.50/3.00. It was a good quality card, personalised with a personalised verse inside too. Whenever my customer saw it, she loved it. It was my first sale and her reaction was worth a thousand pounds to me - i would have given her the card at that point. She insisted on giving me 5. She wanted to give me more, but I wouldn't take it from her. I remember asking what she would have paid in a shop for a card and she replied that she just couldn't have got that card in a shop, so she couldn't compare. Very true. She is a regular customer now and has brought me other customers. If she orders a few cards at a time, I'll knock a bit off the price or throw in a freebie every now and again.

Most of my cards are around 3 for unpersonalised with a simple verse, then round about 5 for personalised with a personalised poem. I reckon that the people who buy handmade cards do appreciate what has gone into them and they would rather buy a good card from you than any old card in a shop.