PDA

View Full Version : Recycled material baskets

jaydee67
23-07-2008, 12:33 AM
I've spent a weekend last month on a course making plaited baskets from recycled materials. I made 2 from newspaper to try the techniques, then started one from the clothes line off the broken whirly gig and some rope from the beach - hmm, not sure I'll do that one again! On the Saturday night I made a couple from catalogues. On the Sunday I finished the clothes line one - eventually (I've put beach pebbles in it in the garden) and made a small bag from some matting found on the beach and started a waste paper basket from waste card which I have since finished, decorating it with packaging strips from my husband's workplace. The only new materials I used were staples to hold things in place. I have shown pupils at the school I work in how to make the newspaper ones and made several since the course, the most recent being a bright, strong basket made from fruit juice cartons.

beadsbydesign
23-07-2008, 09:17 AM
Sounds like you've been having fun. I'd love to see some photos.

Do you live near the beach? My idea of heaven is walking along the beach beachcombing.

I've made baskets before from rope covered in fabric strips. They were really fun to create. I think I'll have to have another go soon.

Roseberry Crafts
23-07-2008, 09:19 AM
They sound fab, especially the clothes line one!

jaydee67
23-07-2008, 11:13 AM
The furthest you can get from the sea in Shetland is 3 miles, not all beaches though - although there are some lovely ones.

I have photos on my photobucket account but it seems I'll have to post a bit more before I can link to them.

beadsbydesign
23-07-2008, 11:18 AM
What's your best beachcomb find?

jaydee67
23-07-2008, 11:45 AM
My favourite finds on the beach are naturally there - cowrie shells (take a bit of looking) and small smooth pebbles I can add to my pebble fountain.

The washed up beach find I liked the best so far is what I think was a shower mat that I turned into a small bag on the recycled materials basket course.

beadsbydesign
23-07-2008, 12:11 PM
Don't know why, but I always imagine the coast of Scotland to be a great hunting ground for wash ups. I found a rubber duck once from a millenium duck race in Ireland. he still sits on my bath! (after he was well bathed)
I've a great collection of drift wood and shells from uk beaches.
I love fossil hunting too and am very drawn to the beaches around whitby.

jaydee67
23-07-2008, 12:13 PM
I love driftwood too - have bits of it in my garden - my favourite bits are still on the beach though as they're too big to carry!

We were in Whitby on holiday one time and y son loved the fossil hunting. Going to go tot he beach with the dogs and my youngest today - if I can get him out of bed!

Jo Lovejoy
23-07-2008, 01:11 PM
The baskets sound great fun, I'd love to have a go. Anyone have any instructions?.....I love driftwood too. I still have a bag full that my husband and I collected on our honeymoon 15 years ago, haven't found the right project for it yet though....
Jo x

beadsbydesign
23-07-2008, 01:43 PM
The ones I've made are incredibly simple.

Take some rope or thick string.
tear fabric into 1" wide strips and thenwrap the strip around the rope for about 15cm. coil the covered rope and take the fabric strip through one of the centre coils. then continue to wrap twice around the rope and once between the coils to secure. form sides as your pot reaches the required dimensions. They are so simple and can be made to suit your decor.

I'm gonna have to go and make another one!

Jo Lovejoy
23-07-2008, 01:56 PM
:) Thanks for the info.... I'll have a go and see how I get on. I'd love to see some pics of the ones you've made.
Jo x

jaydee67
23-07-2008, 07:24 PM
Not tried coiling baskets yet - but I did make a cone shaped one to hang on the wall out of newspaper last night!

bright&beautiful
23-07-2008, 08:35 PM
Ooo this sounds good, I'm going to have a go too. Would love to see your pics.

jaydee67
23-07-2008, 09:05 PM
Just a few more posts and you'll be able to see mine! ;)

Critchley
23-07-2008, 09:53 PM
(welcome)Hi there. I have never tried any of that stuff - it sounds fascinating, I cant wait until you get piccies on. What a lovely part of the Country you live, you are so lucky.

jaydee67
23-07-2008, 10:05 PM
I like taking photos too, presumably you'll be able to see the link to my needing to be updated website including photos of Shetland when I hit the magic number!

jaydee67
23-07-2008, 11:23 PM
Cardboard waste paper basket:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/jaydee67/DSCF4690.jpg

washing line and beach rope/ packaging

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/jaydee67/DSCF4645.jpg

catalogue pages:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/jaydee67/DSCF4654.jpg

shower mat - beach find - bag

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/jaydee67/DSCF4819.jpg

fruit juice cartons:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/jaydee67/DSCF4816.jpg

Critchley
23-07-2008, 11:29 PM
My goodness!!!! you have been productive, when do you sleep.

They are very nice, it is a clever art. I wouldn't know where to start. Thanks for showing them.

PaulineR
23-07-2008, 11:31 PM
WOW they are fantastic well done

bright&beautiful
23-07-2008, 11:35 PM
They are fab, off to find something to tear up!

gypsypunk
24-07-2008, 05:17 AM
I am also into recycling crafts and would be delighted to see the pic

beadsbydesign
24-07-2008, 09:22 AM
They are amazing. How long do they take to create?

jaydee67
24-07-2008, 11:44 AM
That depends on how long it takes to prepare the materials and how easy they are to work with. The carton one didn't take long to make - the material is easy to tighten when working, but took a while to cut up all the cartons. I cut the cartons during the day with scissors, then trimmed them to size with a stanley knife and rule. I made the basket in about an hour.

The washing line one took me the best part of a day on the course - I've said that one is a one off!

bright&beautiful
24-07-2008, 02:25 PM
I'm off for a walk down at the beach later, I shall be on the look out for anything washed up that I can use.

The 8th Gem
29-08-2008, 09:35 AM
Wonderful recycled weaving love them all...love the colour of the fruit juice creation and the beer can was it?...terrific
The childrens ones from newspaper are spectacular...brilliant work!

Having fun recycling plasic bottles and a die cutter at the mo!!...not sure exactly what l will do with them yet but isn't it satisfying recycling all sorts of stuff from the bin/beach or where ever? lol
Only problem l want the bottles that are full!! lol
Suz..really love the work