PDA

View Full Version : legal stuff regarding selling my handmade dog toys help please!

Miggi
16-07-2008, 05:21 PM
Ok, so I want to sell my dog toys on a craft stall... do I legally have to get insurance or permits or anything? I'm in the process of registering as a sole trader. I've checked for safety regulations regarding the manufacter of the toys, and there aren't any. I want to be safe rather then sorry! I'm looking at liability insurance but don't know if it covers dog toys.. I'll have to actually contact some companies to ask them. The big one for me is if a dog chokes on, chews, eats or anything else and becomes ill (this is a hazard for ALL toys) will I or how can I be covered? There are no safety regulations and therefore cannot be tests done to prove they are safe, and although I absolutely know my toys are safer, stronger and better made then 75% + of the toys already sold in pet shops and supermarkets in the uk .. legally how can I be sure to cover myself?

Annette
17-07-2008, 10:58 AM
Have you tried Trading Standards? They are usually quite helpful.

woodtattoos
17-07-2008, 03:53 PM
Have you tried Trading Standards? They are usually quite helpful.

Good suggestion. I was going to also suggest contacting companies in the UK that already make such items, but perhaps they won't be helpful if they realise you are potentially 'competition'! I'm sure that public liability insurance will be necessary, and perhaps the actual insurance brokers will be able to assist with your question when you explain what you do and what issues you would need to ensure your policy covered. Good luck with your enquiries!

Si.