PDA

View Full Version : Mixing and water colours

handcrafted
20-05-2008, 02:51 PM
Can you mix oils and acrylics when painting? Also when working with water colours do you need to do that thing when you stretch the paper so that it doesnt crinkle? I dont have a board yet so i cant use my easel to full potential.

Peter
20-05-2008, 04:31 PM
Nope. If you want to use mixed media you have to paint the acrylic bit first and when it's dry (about a day) you can overpaint with oils. If you do it the other way round you would have to wait about 6 months for the oils to dry or you would forever have a soggy underpainting! :D With watercolours it's best to wet your paper first - it's a personal choice thing, and depends how wet you paint. Get some MDF board and some gummed tape and tou have a watercolour easel! :) Oh, by the way...............BB! :D

Scorch
21-05-2008, 09:24 AM
I reckon you could use any flat plastic surface, or cover any kind of flat surface with a sheet of plastic taped down smooth, or probably even stretched-smooth clingfilm taped down, and get a watercolour easel! But if you don't stretch and tape the paper down on top, it will wrinkle up, I would think.

The cool thing about acrylics is that you can use them thick as though they were oils, and you can water them down and use them like watercolours too! Very adaptable...

Blessings,

sweet
22-05-2008, 01:20 AM
Can you mix oils and acrylics when painting?

If you mean squirting one colour of acrylic onto your palette and then squirting an oil colour and mixing them together to produce a new and exciting colour, then the answer is definitly a no. I know this from experience! I had mixed up my oil and acrylic tubes in my painting box and got out what I thought were too tubes of acrylics, squirted and mixed, and oh dear, a rather mucky mess!

but if you mean laying down acrylic or oil first, then adding the other over the top? then it becomes more complicated! beadsage is right, oils take forever to to dry, and some suggest that an oil painting does not dry fully until 12months after having been painted (part of the reason I stopped using oils!)

I did a search, bcoz I thought there was a rule! It turns out that there isnt a clear cut answer! some artists use an acrylic underpainting and then paint over with oils, other artists raise the issue of longevity, some say that in paintings that have had an acrylic underpainting and then oil painted on top have began to flake over time. :o(but i'm sure this is still not an absolute and raises furthur issues such as the quality of paints used in the first place, such as student-v-artist grade.) In a painting book I have, I just looked and it says in general, best practice is too use an oil based medium on top of a water based one.

But, I also found when i was searching suggestions that you can paint acrylic over oil, just have to wait for the oils to fully dry, like beadsage says, bcoz, if its not and you add acrylic and even more oil for that matter, it will go muddy and be a total mess, the oil will just mix up with everything. ok, the reasoning behind applying acrylic over oil, apparently is this; when oils dry or 'cures' it isn't an oil anymore, so therefore you wont be adding water to an oil, as in the acrylic which is water based to an oil, b'cause the oil has cured. Not as scientific as what I read, because I couldnt be bothered rambling on about how the properties of oils and acrylic change once dried! :D

but for what its worth in my opinion, I would agree with scorch,

The cool thing about acrylics is that you can use them thick as though they were oils, and you can water them down and use them like watercolours too! Very adaptable...

This is the joy of acrylics, they are really quite a wonder! And it truly does save buying loads of different mediums! Acrylic can mimic oil, you can also get some extra thick acrylic paint too.

And, it mimics watercolour, because until it dries it is water based, it can be 'diluted' with water. Which is what I usually do for an underpainting. The only issue here tho, is that unlike watercolours, once acrylics dry they cannot be made 'alive' again by adding water. once they've dried, thats it. But you can always paint over them!

And also there are SOOOO many acrylic mediums you can use with acrylic paints that can really do some wonders to your paintings. There's texture paste, glazes, a multitude of different gels and so much more. If you really want to know more about acrylics, I would suggest a book by Rheni Tauchid, its called 'The New Acrylics: complete guide to the new generation of acrylics' here (http://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Acrylics-Complete-Generation-Acrylic/dp/0823031594/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1211411066&sr=8-1)I really is a good book, dont worry mods, i'm not on comission! lol...just realised, you can search 'inside' the book from the link I gave, so you can see for yourself if you like the look of it!

I do have this book and I have found it really helpful. I think thats about all I can think of, I hope it helps, I hope i havnt rambled too much either! lol

anymore q's just fire away and if i know the answer i'll let you know!

s.x

handcrafted
22-05-2008, 12:47 PM
Hmm, well i just ruined a canvas finding out just what you said lol! It was heading that way anyway really!
Im off to buy some new canvases anyway. While im out im gonna pick up some more paints. Il admit i loooove oils! I love te way they feel and look. But they are so expensive. I find acrylics good too but i havnt quite got the technique of using them thick like oils. Im using a hell of a lot of paint at the moment! So expensive for a skint student :mf:

sweet
26-05-2008, 11:47 AM
Hmm, well i just ruined a canvas finding out just what you said lol! It was heading that way anyway really!
Im off to buy some new canvases anyway. While im out im gonna pick up some more paints. Il admit i loooove oils! I love te way they feel and look. But they are so expensive. I find acrylics good too but i havnt quite got the technique of using them thick like oils. Im using a hell of a lot of paint at the moment! So expensive for a skint student :mf:

lol! the best way too find out what will happen is to go and do it! lol..know you know!

I lve oils too, they are so pliable, i'll go back to them one day, but at the moment i'm having too much fun with my acrylics!

If its the thickness you're after you can get extra thick acrylic paint, I havnt used it before, but if its a good quality paint, it will work well! the only down side of acrylic is that they dry so very quickly, which puts people off. I used a lot of paint when i started too, I went through tubes of the stuff and I never seemed to have much to show for it! lol!

I'm sure cost wise, buying the really large tubes would work out cheaper in the long run. Although it might seem to be a big expense at the time! Maybe colours that you are using a lot of, mine is usually phthalo blue and crimson, so i try to get larger tubes of these.

keep us posted on what you do!

s.x

wheeler
17-06-2008, 03:16 PM
Thanks for starting the thread. I too was looking for the same kind of info and I like to know more on this topic.... So keep postinggggg:playball:

craftfairy
20-06-2008, 09:59 PM
Gosh, I'm staggered by how helpful everyone is. I was gong to post a reply but it's all been said,

Yvonne

DianeKing
24-06-2008, 07:23 PM
I agree - so much good advice!

On the cost of acrylic paints though, I get most of mine from The Works - don't know if you have one where you are. They have great prices on paints and canvases - so you can really slap on the acrylic to get some lovely textures. Another place I keep an eye on for paints and canvases- Aldi. Hope you have some joy with these xx:)

Diane