PDA

View Full Version : How do they manage it

handcrafted
18-05-2008, 07:40 PM
I have been looking through some web sites selling paintings and wondering. Some of the paintings there are so simple, similar to what i have done and im sure many here have done......so why is it that some people can sell their paintings for 100s of pounds and others that have talent and can paint paintings just as good cant sell them at all!

Makes you a little sick doesnt it....:mad:

claireybear
18-05-2008, 08:40 PM
I guess it has a lot to do with reputation . . . and it takes a while to build up a good one! Also, some people seem to be better at marketing their work than others.

Also, for some reason sometimes more expensive items sell better than cheaper ones, maybe because people assume they are getting what they are paying for?

Have confidence in yourself :)

Claire x

Scorch
19-05-2008, 09:24 AM
Merry Meet, Handcrafted!

It's a mystery to me, too... I think a lot of it is, as Claireybear says, having a "name" or reputation. I've far preferred "amateur" art over recognised artists in many cases.

Just keep trying, I guess... :)

edenworkshops
18-07-2008, 09:52 PM
I forget who it was who said; "I would sooner be lucky than good".

Whoever it was showed great insight.

I am now a semi retired artist craftsman so I can look back with the advantage of good old hindsight.

Luck, or fortunate coincidence played a role in my career, but I was also working hard and that can create opportunities in itself.

Having the confidence to market oneself also played a role in what success our workshop achieved.

Building a reputation over time is valuable of course.

And yes, I think I would prefer to be lucky than good :)

Richard

carrie-anne
03-10-2008, 02:53 AM
most of the great artists where only appreiciated after they died. im gonna have a art sale at my wake and il make a fortune lol.

if you dont already get on artbeats (cant remember address) get some of your work up on their for people to comment on . once youv got a good few possitive comments and feedback start selling it on that site. its mainly artists buying on thier and word gets around quickly among them. its a way of building up reputation and getting an idea of how much you can get away with charging for your work.

if your after making money just paint aload of simple abstracts for bedroom walls and stick them on ebay. its a great way of getting extra cash when your an art student and how most of me and my class mates could afford to go to the student bar.