PDA

View Full Version : Which paints?

claireybear
17-05-2008, 06:03 PM
Hello glass painters!

I have just tried glass painting and loved it so much that I am now planning to buy my own paints!

The ones I have had a go with are the pebeo vitrail ones, and the colours are really gorgeous. I am torn between these and the pebeo vitrea (?) ones which can be baked in the oven to make them dishwasher safe, but I am worried that these wouldnt have quite the visual effect of the vitrail.

I am open to all suggestions about either of these or any others you may recommend! Although I am not so keen on the peelable ones, I had a set of the gallery ones before and wasnt overly impressed.

Thanks

Claire x

Beadservice
18-05-2008, 10:40 AM
I've used both, and the bake on version is good if you every want to paint onto wine glass or vases, because any contact with water just makes the vitrail one peel off.

This might be a personal thing, but I preferred using Pebeo Ceramic on glassware. This also be baked on as well, I found it easier to brush onto rounded surfaces, and your brushes can be washed in water.

Debbie

Titania
18-05-2008, 06:46 PM
Hello glass painters!

I have just tried glass painting and loved it so much that I am now planning to buy my own paints!

The ones I have had a go with are the pebeo vitrail ones, and the colours are really gorgeous. I am torn between these and the pebeo vitrea (?) ones which can be baked in the oven to make them dishwasher safe, but I am worried that these wouldnt have quite the visual effect of the vitrail.

I am open to all suggestions about either of these or any others you may recommend! Although I am not so keen on the peelable ones, I had a set of the gallery ones before and wasnt overly impressed.

Thanks

Claire x

i have pebeo vitrail as well as marabu glass paints. both are ok but vitrail seems to be a lil better. i heard that solvent-based Rainbow glass by alan and barry are good too! there is even a pearlescent colours set to buy from them too.

tc, x

claireybear
18-05-2008, 08:35 PM
Thanks for your replies, Debbie and Titania.

I think I have decided to stick with the vitrail for now, and then if I decide to do wine glasses etc then I can always buy some of the ones you bake on as well. It's interesting that the ceramic ones go on better than the glass ones, I did wonder what the difference was between them really.

I do like the look of the rainbow glass ones, but they only sell them singly, and I like the fact that you can buy the vitrail ones in a set to get you started. I suppose there would be no reason why I couldnt use the pearlescent rainbw glass ones along with the vitrail ones if I wanted?

Thanks for your help!

Claire x

Scorch
19-05-2008, 09:17 AM
I have a set of vitrea paints, and they're great. The only odd thing is that they go "tacky" very quickly, so you only get out a tiny bit at a time. But when they're baked on, they really do look like part of the glass itself...

Titania
19-05-2008, 01:01 PM
I have a set of vitrea paints, and they're great. The only odd thing is that they go "tacky" very quickly, so you only get out a tiny bit at a time. But when they're baked on, they really do look like part of the glass itself...

are vitrea paints transparent as vitrail, Scorch?
i assume they have a thicker consistence. how do u paint large surfaces with such thick paints?

Scorch
19-05-2008, 01:11 PM
I think they are as transparent, yes, though I have no vitrail to cmpare them to. The ones I've used surely are transparent.

I thinned them down considerably, with medium and with water. It says a max of 10% water on the jar, but it seemed to work OK for me with more, I think. I certainly didn't measure the water out!

Titania
19-05-2008, 01:17 PM
I think they are as transparent, yes, though I have no vitrail to cmpare them to. The ones I've used surely are transparent.

I thinned them down considerably, with medium and with water. It says a max of 10% water on the jar, but it seemed to work OK for me with more, I think. I certainly didn't measure the water out!

Mmmm im the opposite, i use vitrail and they are nicely transparent apart from white and pearlescent colours. never tried vitrea though so wondered whats so interesting about them
do u get any uneven streaks when u apply ur paints?

Scorch
19-05-2008, 02:21 PM
The cool thing about Vitrea is that it's permanent when you bake it.

I haven't done anything large that has to be brushless, so I don't know about the coverage. The bits I'm doing just now are OK showing brushstrokes, and the previous stuff I made didn't show any, but was small...

Titania
19-05-2008, 02:25 PM
The cool thing about Vitrea is that it's permanent when you bake it.

I haven't done anything large that has to be brushless, so I don't know about the coverage. The bits I'm doing just now are OK showing brushstrokes, and the previous stuff I made didn't show any, but was small...

Do you have any vitrea works to show off? ;)

claireybear
19-05-2008, 05:31 PM
Thats interesting to know that you can thin the vitrea with water.

I couldnt decide which to get, so I ordered a small starter set of both the vitrail and the vitrea!

Once I have tried them both I will post what the differences are.

I am quite excited, I hope they arrive soon!

Claire x

Titania
19-05-2008, 05:37 PM
Thats interesting to know that you can thin the vitrea with water.

I couldnt decide which to get, so I ordered a small starter set of both the vitrail and the vitrea!

Once I have tried them both I will post what the differences are.

I am quite excited, I hope they arrive soon!

Claire x

i also started with a 4 colour starter kit of vitrail paints and with time i have built up a collection. i had water based paints in a starter kit too - 2 colours and a long tube-like votive, started dabbing the paint with a sponge onto the vase, and later on it created an uneven thick coat, sorta skin on the glass surface, started correcting it and it became even worse lol so i got discouraged a lil. i baked the vase nonetheless but wasnt very pleased with the effect. never tried vitrea before tho.those water based i used were of other brand.

Scorch
02-06-2008, 03:03 PM
Gotta do some scanning... :)

Titania
14-06-2008, 04:58 PM
Gotta do some scanning... :)

waiting for ur pics Scorch! :D u can upload them in the group album so we all can make commments on them :D

ive seen a couple of works on the net painted with some unknown totally non-transparent glasses, wonder what brand it could be? :rolleyes: