PDA

View Full Version : Hello

handcrafted
13-05-2008, 01:46 PM
Hey im Amy and i am from near Edinburgh.

I have just graduated (well handed in my dissertation at last!) from my animal biology degree and i guess you can say i am now unemployed seeing as i am not a student anymore :nopity: (good smileys!)

What, i hear you cry, is that to do with crafts!? Well i love crafts and art. I loved to paint/draw/make baskets/jewellary but for the past 4 years i have been tied down to uni work and i am now determined to get back into making things with my hands! There is nothing more satisfying.

But i am at a loss as where to start. I have the urge but i feel i have hit a brick wall. I am slighty skint due to being a student for so long so i have searched my house high and low to find the remains of my craft tools. I came across this website when searching for jobs! I hope it can help me get back on track.

I do love animals too though, so my degree isnt a total waste :D I have a 11 month old black lab called Flynn, a moggy called Milo and in 4 weeks time i will be getting my horse called Alfie!

My dream is to be able to make a living from my crafts! But il wait and see about that..!

elaine50
13-05-2008, 01:49 PM
(welcome) great to hear from you.
Elaine

Clarey11
13-05-2008, 02:01 PM
Hi Amy,

I finished uni last year doing BA Honours in Jewellery. I know its tough just out of uni it took me ages to get a job - not a jewellery job- but ANY job. At the moment i am just working in london in an admin job- snore. But at least it brings in the cash and pays the bills. And now I am paying odd my student loan and out of my overdraft woohoo! But definately you need to get some cash in to be able to start making your own stuff. Its great when you get started making again its just about finding the time when you have a full time job!

Rodeo Lady
13-05-2008, 04:16 PM
(welcome) to the forum from me too.

Cheers Janice

pixiedoodles
13-05-2008, 04:18 PM
Hi and (welcome)to my second home! :mf:

Seahorse
13-05-2008, 04:20 PM
My dream is to be able to make a living from my crafts! But il wait and see about that..!

I want that too, we all want that.We've all pledged that when one of us finds the secret we will tell everyone and strive for world domination.

Hello and welcome to you.

wyattbean
13-05-2008, 04:32 PM
(welcome) from me too and good luck in your future endevours...

Sue

Beadservice
13-05-2008, 06:31 PM
Hi and welcome to the forum (welcome)

Debbie

craftyjan
13-05-2008, 07:49 PM
hello and welcome bootsales can be a good place to pick up some craft supplies at low cost me and my daughter have brought alsorts you have to wade through the rubbish but sometimes its worth it good luck on finding a job

sherrielinda
13-05-2008, 07:58 PM
Hello and (welcome).

CurlyFries
13-05-2008, 08:03 PM
Hello and welcome!

Carol29
13-05-2008, 10:14 PM
(welcome)(welcome)(welcome)

Hi,

I hope you enjoy your time here. You'll get lots of support and advice...so find those brushes and get painting. We'd love to see some of your work.

Well done on your degree.:D

Carol
www.carolshawjewellery.com (http://www.carolshawjewellery.com)
bespoke handmade jewellery

BeadsbyLili
13-05-2008, 10:22 PM
Hello & (welcome) from me too !

Well, there's lots to stimulate your creative streak here & at least there has been a little sunshine to sit in while you wait to find that new job (at the moment!) so make the most of that and if it rains there's always a nice cuppa and another good excuse to log onto the forum for a browse :D

Good luck !

handcrafted
13-05-2008, 10:43 PM
:D Was lovely today! I made a pair of earrings that i am wearing now. I would show you but i cant post pics lol! eta - put pics of them in an album in my profile!

Thanks for the welcome!

woodtattoos
14-05-2008, 11:33 AM
Hamdcrafted,

I did a 3-D Design degree at Uni and remember considering what I wanted to do next when I graduated. I had the option of joining a post-course sort of apprenticeship where you continued to develop your making skills while learning more about the business side of things to get you up'n'running. I also considered teaching art/crafts/design.

I remember speaking to someone at the top of their profession at a show who said that they still did not earn as much as they would like and were unable to put their kids in the school they wanted, etc. I had a long hard think and realised that each item I created would be a gas bill, a food shop, or one of many other bills. I became concerned that I would resent the work I loved and decided to go for another line of work.

A few years on, I have no regrets at all. I have a 'day job' that I really enjoy and I now have my crafts work as a sideline that takes me away from the stresses of my other role. Showing at crafts fairs and doing commissions I've received from advertising online is a bonus to me, meaning that each piece of work I create feels free from pressure and stress. I feel that this reflects in my work and the way that I view my craft now. I don't feel like I'm having to 'conveyor belt' as many items as possible. Sure, sometimes I spend many hours on a commission piece that means I'm probably working for less than 5 an hour in the long run... but I've enjoyed making it and the money is a bonus as I'm earning elsewhere.

Ideally, I would have been making a living from the skill that I studied and dedicated so long of my educational career towards. I applaud anyone who dedicates their life to making a real go of it. My tuppence worth though is just this... life has a funny way of giving things back from time to time, so don't think that things aren't going right if you have to accept another job to keep you going. You've just joined a wonderful Forum for all things crafty, and the wealth of experience here will give you a platform for whichever way you decide to take your skills.

All the best and (welcome) aboard!

Si.

P.S. I'm normally a little quieter. ;)

Roseberry Crafts
14-05-2008, 11:38 AM
hello & (welcome)from me too!

ShinySilver
19-05-2008, 07:28 PM
Hi and (welcome) from another newbie.
I'm hoping to be able to make a living, of some kind, from craft work too, but I'm guessing it might be an uphill struggle. That said, if you never try, you never know. Not sure that pays the bills though! Hope you enjoy your time here.

Michelle

ladyrat
20-05-2008, 07:57 AM
Hiya and (welcome)

indri
20-05-2008, 08:42 AM
http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/images/smilies/wave3.gif Hello!!

http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/images/smilies/nov/welcome4.gif to the forum!!!!

mandarine
22-05-2008, 12:31 PM
hi and welcome!(welcome)I am newbie :jump:

Peter
22-05-2008, 12:56 PM
hi and welcome!(welcome)I am newbie :jump:
Mandarine - I've looked at your website and think you should introduce yourself to us, with a bit of information about your Moldovian crafts. Your website is very interesting! :) Welcome. :)

mandarine
23-07-2008, 11:15 AM
Oh Peter, I am sorry for my silence (((I haven't seen your post till now, but better later than never;) My name is Christine and i am 24 years old. I am from Moldova.Moldova is in Eastern Europe , near Romania and Ukraine(it is for those who don't know where Moldova is). I adore sweets, my boyfriend and chit-chats.My boyfriend asked me to add that i am veeery curious :banplease:
With your permission, I want to introduce my store.
This nice site (http://www.thehandicrafts.net/)has handicrafts made by Moldavian crafters.
These dolls (http://www.thehandicrafts.net/shop/dolls/)represent our(Moldavian) national costumes (this doll i (http://www.thehandicrafts.net/shop/dolls/drunkard/)s my favorite.he is so funny:D).
Bags, also called messengers, are made of 100% wool and has a very durable stuff.I guarantee these, because i made them [as you see i am very modest:D]
cane and corn husk are also great. Items are made of 100% eco-friendly stuff.And last but not the least, wooden items.I have bought some statuettes and wooden dolls and decorated my office. Now my office looks gorgeous (it is not an exaggeration)
I am very glad that you liked it:mf::mf::mf: and thanks for welcome.It is the greatest forum i have ever met.Congrats moderators:first: