PDA

View Full Version : Wooden Buttons

Works-in-Wood
12-05-2008, 07:19 PM
As a Woodturner I can make these, and indeed was asked for some a few months back. Finally I've sold a pack of four and made a few more packs.....

Can any of you Clothing /Knitting / Sewing people give me any hints as to what styles/sizes .......or what's not readily available ?

Chris.

creativeclare
14-05-2008, 04:53 PM
Wooden buttons sound really exciting.

Large ones would go down well. Probably around, 35mm across and 50mm across.

The wooden buttons available can be quite plastic looking and I think people would like a more natural looking button.

A single oval shaped button on a jacket would be unusual.

Clare

PhasePatch
15-05-2008, 12:29 AM
I think that size would sell really well. Especially if you could have them in different types of wood. To give different colours.
Natural materials and big buttons are all the rage at the moment so I think you'd do well.
Is it something you could make from offcuts? I don't really know alot about woodturning. If they were 5cm ish people would mostly only need one or two.

blackberrycrafts
19-05-2008, 10:27 AM
I tend to use large buttons (1.5" - 2.5" across) on my bags, as decoration to hide the real fastening (a clasp or popper), and I'd love to work with some real natural wooden buttons. :)

brittone05
25-05-2008, 11:50 AM
Can you also make wooden busks for corsets?

I shall toddle and find some pics of one in a tick but they are historically correct for some corsets and not something that is normally readily available in the shops :D

Moley
29-05-2008, 09:48 PM
What about large shapes for scarves, or various shaped buckles? It's difficult to find truly natural ones.