PDA

View Full Version : stopping chain from tarnishing

helena
08-05-2008, 08:44 PM
I'm new to the forum so hi everyone!

Does anyone know how if you can prevent silver plated chain from discolouring? I've made a couple of pieces using such chain but it seems to have gone a funny dullish colour (not through wear, just from being left with necklaces I've made using glass beads for a few months?) Or is this just inevitable with plated metal and will I just have to pay more for real silver?
Thanks for any ideas!:pc:

BeadsbyLili
09-05-2008, 09:12 AM
Hi Helena, you could try rubbing it over with a silver cloth which you can get in many hardware type shops.

Pebbles
09-05-2008, 09:47 AM
If I make something with plated metal findings and am needing to store it, I place in a zip lock plastic bag to prevent discolouration and tarnishing.

Some findings are better than others though, I am using better quality findings than I used when I started out. These seem to look nicer for longer.

Seahorse
09-05-2008, 11:22 AM
Yep, use grip seal bags to keep the air away from them.I get mine from the bagnboxman.

helena
10-05-2008, 08:32 AM
thank you for those tips, I will have a look for some silver cloth, and it totally makes sense on storing them appropriately. I have all my necklces hanging together which is obviously not helping with the chain thing.

Thanks again.:D

Beadservice
13-05-2008, 06:00 PM
As other have said 'grip seal bags' are a must for storing silver plated and sterling silver jewellery to prevent tarnishing.

Debbie

urbtaf
13-05-2008, 11:19 PM
We use the gripseal bags, Someone gave me a tip the other day, spray furniture on a cloth and draw new chains through it to coat them. Not tried it yet but it should work good enough to keep the damp off

Pebbles
15-05-2008, 03:07 PM
We use the gripseal bags, Someone gave me a tip the other day, spray furniture on a cloth and draw new chains through it to coat them. Not tried it yet but it should work good enough to keep the damp off

How do I get my furniture into spray bottles, and if I manage it, what am i going to sit on? :D

urbtaf
23-05-2008, 10:43 PM
Dont be cruel Pelbbles if you notice my threads I dont do speeling very welll. In fact its that bad even the spel check doesnt understand me:confused:. Funny thing is a friend years ago gave me a book on gem law dated 1600. it was written in old english and I read it without any trouble at all but no one else could make any scence of it , guess Ive been born out of my time;)
And dont tempt me or I might tell you what to sit on:mf:

Dizzydiza
24-05-2008, 09:27 AM
Funnily enough I totally understood urbtaf and hadnt a clue what peebles was on about...it took me 3 reads of her comment to understand her confusion:sm:
;)

ps thx for the advice about polishing the silver plating i have the same problem especially as i have my jewellery out all of the time for people to see when they come to visit me or i am at wedding fayres

Carol29
24-05-2008, 10:55 AM
My tips are as all the above.

Don't leave your jewellery lying around.
Don't hang it up as this puts strain on the chain.
Store in small zip lock bags. I got mine in bulk from beadshop.
Then I store them in a box.
I always keep a silver cloth to hand.

Hope that helps:mf:

Carol
www.carolshawjewellery.com (http://www.carolshawjewellery.com)
bespoke handmade jewellery

Bea
26-05-2008, 09:37 PM
I back what everyone has said, that's the only way the jewellery will prevent tarnishing. I sell the grip seal bags and the cleaning cloth as it goes together with jewellery making.

You can also get special tissue paper (anti tarnish, I think) to wrap your pieces in, but not sure where from.

Bumpy Beads
06-06-2008, 05:28 PM
If you visit Lakeland they sell anti-tarnish strips. You can cut them into smaller pieces and pop one into your ziplock bag.

helena
06-06-2008, 06:13 PM
Thanks for that tip, a trip to Lakelands is calling! I must also pop back to Jinny Ring as haven't been there for ages. I've just had a nosey on your website, beautiful work! Did you train in glass?
XX:)

Bumpy Beads
06-06-2008, 08:02 PM
Thank you very much Helena. Yes, the Jinney Ring has a huge range of craft workers, and I can see you're fairly local! Small world. I'm glad you like my beads. I am mainly self taught, but I had a lesson with Sally Carver who makes fabulous beads.