• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Forest Beader
    Junior crafter
    • Sep 2007

Head pin's or eye pin's?

I have just made my first pair of ear rings, I had great trouble getting the length of the head pins right, not to mention the loop at the end. I wonder if eye pins would be easier?
  • ladyrat
    100+ crafts club
    • Apr 2008

An eye pin already has a loop on it so you would still have to make your own loop at the other end to connect something to! A head pin is more like a sewing pin.. ie a flat bit at one end...so you can thread things onto it.

To get a tight end loop you should use round nosed pliers and bend the pin to about 45 degrees as flush as you can with the last bead you have put on and then wrap the wire around your pliers to make a loop.

Seeing as this is the first pair you have made I can honestly tell you that is does become easier with practice and you'll be making loops without thinking about them!
    Last edited by ladyrat; 06-05-2008, 03:23 PM.
    Trish

Comment

• newcrafter24
      So much more than a moderate crafter
      • Mar 2007

I am just at exactly the same stage as you and bought some bits and pieces at the weekend to have a go at trying a very simple earrring. Getting the hand of the looping but I think it is just going to take practice. I have found some of the tutorials on youtube very useful and would highly recommend them - search for something like "make loops headpins" and you will get a few.

Comment

• newcrafter24
        So much more than a moderate crafter
        • Mar 2007

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

This was the link I was looking for - couldn't find it before - well worth a watch!

Comment

• Forest Beader
          Junior crafter
          • Sep 2007

Thank you, that was a great help, also i am now useing the right pliers!!

Comment

• BeadsbyLili
            Super Big Crafter
            • Jun 2007

Originally posted by newcrafter24 View Post
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5KG2K2Xpq8

This was the link I was looking for - couldn't find it before - well worth a watch!
            thankyou
            Mel

Comment

• Beadservice
              500+ Crafters Club
              • Feb 2008

Top Tip to get you ear-rings to hang the same length:-

When you've worked out the length you need for the first head pin, allow about 1cm to create a loop, and cut the second one to the same length before making the ear-rings,

Use round nosed pliers to make your loop, making sure you use the same tapered area of the pliers to create the same size loop.

Debbie
              www.beadservice.net
              On-line bead supplier and bead lover

Comment

Working...
              X