PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of buying a sewing machine..any tips?

PeggyCrafts
01-05-2008, 02:59 PM
Hello everyone!

I have been increasingly getting into making things out of felt and I'm really enjoying this. I am considering buying a sewing machine but I don't really know where to start and would hope not to spend too much.

If anyone has any tips on a good make / model and where to look that would be much appreciated.

Thanks everyone

Helen :) x

bynicki
01-05-2008, 04:39 PM
As you will see by the stuff I sell I don't really have a great need for a sewing machine but I did buy one last year from Tesco Direct www.tesco.co.uk (http://www.tesco.co.uk) . I know it doesnt sound like the normal place you would buy one but it has been really good, I've used it quite a bit since I got it and it does all kinds of different stiches etc. It cost about 80 and is an E&R Classic model.

Hope that is of some help!x:D

silvermaid
02-05-2008, 02:35 AM
I think the most useful things to have are a few different decorative stitches - a piece of straight stitching looks so much more professional in a fancy stitch, a stretch stitch and maybe an automatic button hole maker.
I have a Toyota and am very pleased with it I have had it about 6 years, I haven't used it a lot but have managed to get good results.
My mum has just bought a sewing machine for about 40 from Lidl's. It's a foreign make, but most of them are made abroad anyway. She hasn't had time to try it out properly but she's quite pleased so far.

Melanie

sharon
03-05-2008, 07:08 PM
I use an Elna machine, changed from Brother when I started making curtains professionally.

I can highly recommend it - Swiss made so runs like clockwork & doesn't need oiling or servicing.

Don't bother with a Brother - too many little niggles with them.

Good luck

Moley
21-05-2008, 09:06 AM
Tdis is probably too late after the event but you should find that Janome do some very good beginners' machines at under 100, - also John Lewis, although I think they're made by Janome anyway. I have one of the Delta overlockers from Aldi but there is no after care service. Heaven hel me if it breaks down. I would recommend that you make a list of what you want the machine to do, find a dealer who sells a couple of brands and take some of your fabric with you to try them out. Any dealer worth their salt will let you do that.
Sewing machines are a bit like cars - they all go but it's very much a personal choice as to what features you llike.
Good luck.

PeggyCrafts
21-05-2008, 02:21 PM
Thanks for all the tips everyone. I'm not ready to purchase yet as I'm saving up for my holiday (4 weeks and 4 days...woop) but when I get back I will be looking to purchase one. They're not as expensive as I thought they would be, so that's good, but will take all of your suggestions into account.

The next thing I'll be posting saying help meeee! How do I use my new sewing machine! :D

Helen x

brittone05
23-05-2008, 04:16 PM
If you enjoy felt work and stuff, you could maybe look into picking up an embellisher?

You can get a good range of sewing machines from basic right through but if you are unsure if it is going to be a permanent thing, why not put a wanted on your local Freecycle group? They often have basic machines on there and, although old, they are good solid workhorses :D

(Heya Moley ;))

Moley
23-05-2008, 07:14 PM
Hi Brit!
Helen, as you are in Manchester, when you do get around to looking for a machine try Bambers in Eccles.
Happy hunting.

jeamz.zeez
19-03-2010, 12:43 PM
if you need my advice then go and buy some of cheap one
it does't make any diffrence at all
trust me
all are same
just upper layer is diffrent

BlossomCrafts
19-03-2010, 03:16 PM
My advice would be think carefully about what you want the sewing machine to do. Have a look at a number of different brands and take note of the recommendations of the peops here. If you can get someone to demonstrate using the types of materials you would like to use do so.

I have a good basic machine which does everything I want. No embroidery or computer programmed stitches as this wasnt what I needed.

If you want to sew leather make sure the machine is capable. Overlockers do just that overlock seams and trim.

Enjoy your holiday.

pepperpot
19-03-2010, 03:57 PM
I bought a new sewing machine over a year ago now - having previously only used a very old knackered singer which was very difficult to get the tension right on - so mostly I gave up.

My new machine is a digital program one (singer) basic but has lots of different stiches and comes with several different feet and a button hole maker. I LOVE it because it's soooo easy to use! I've made a basic top for myself (:D) and lots of bags for my new business (mostly made out of furnishing fabrics so they tend to be a bit thick to get through) but the machine has coped brilliantly.

Like Blossom Crafts said decide roughly the type of thing you want to make first and then look at machines.

Have fun x

stars1
14-05-2010, 09:26 AM
Hello everyone!

I have been increasingly getting into making things out of felt and I'm really enjoying this. I am considering buying a sewing machine but I don't really know where to start and would hope not to spend too much.

If anyone has any tips on a good make / model and where to look that would be much appreciated.

Thanks everyone

Helen :) x

Go to a store that sells and services sewing machines and see what they have in your price range. You'll be able to test different machines, and they can advise you. If this is your first machine, your best bet is to go with a basic model.

Last year I bought myself a very inexpensive Sewing Machine from an online shop. It does very basic sewing and is VERY easy to learn. It comes with everything you need to get started (except scissors, fabric and thread).

I've done very basic work - pillowcases, curtains, Christmas stockings and the like - nothing real fancy yet, but it is great for getting started and building confidence.