PDA

View Full Version : Can I offer craft classes?

rainbowstar
08-04-2005, 10:37 AM
I have enjoyed various crafts over the last 10 years, and was considering running some craft classes for adults at my local community centre. What I want to know is, do I actually need a teaching and/or craft qualification before I should do this? I believe if I wanted to run classes for kids I would need to complete a disclosure form, but again, not sure whether or not I can set up with no "formal" craft or teaching education behind me. Any advice greatly appreciated...

Dollyrocker
30-11-2009, 11:01 PM
id like to know this too! i was told no but was also told it would be very helpful to gain some qualies in lifelong learning teacher and also some craft courses

wendy
01-12-2009, 06:58 AM
Legally speaking, you can do it without quals, but you'd need insurance. However, you'd probably be better gaining some quals, or at least working towards them first. Ask for teacher training courses at your local college - they are part-time and you can usually fit them around existing commitments. You may find the college will be happy for you to run courses for them, and they'd pay you too.

Not Just Handbags
01-12-2009, 09:54 AM
I know our local colleges are always on the look out for people to run short courses for adults in different areas so maybe worth contacting them and suggesting a course that they are missing!

soooty
12-12-2009, 10:17 AM
Many further education colleges offer evening courses and sometimes courses that run during the day. Funding for adult education isn't what it used to be, however if your course can be justified in terms of numbers then it will run. For these craft/hobby courses you don't need a teaching certificate (that is used when teaching certified courses such as GNVQ, GCSE, A level etc). They probably would want a CRB check. This used to be mandatory for teaching young people up to the age of 18, however it is becoming more common in higher and adult education, probably because of vulnerable adults being at risk.

nattynetty
12-12-2009, 11:32 AM
I know this is an old thread but still a relevant question by the sounds of it.

I know our local colleges are always on the look out for people to run short courses for adults in different areas so maybe worth contacting them and suggesting a course that they are missing!

Yep same here so it's definitely worth making enquiries although as soooty said the funding for Adult Ed has been hit really hard recently so there might not be as many courses available. Some colleges are fussier than others regarding qualifications...and some of them will take you on without any but insist you start studying towards them. I used to be friendly with the lady who was in charge of the adult ed classes in a local town (worked in the same building) and she said some of their courses were run by people with a number of years experience in their field but no formal qualifications.

There's no harm in asking!!!

Leisure Time Collection
12-12-2009, 02:06 PM
You can do a teaching course, I have done the BTEC level 4 which allows you to teach adults. Just google teaching course and you'll find something in your area I'm sure.

The Edexcel Level 4 Certificate in Teaching in the Lifelong Learning Sector (CTLLS) - is designed to equip someone with the skills and knowledge required to take up the role of an Ďassociate teacher or trainerí. This is interpreted as someone who would be involved in delivering and facilitating learning, but who would often use pre-prepared packs or run short courses (1 or 2 days), or perhaps offer one on one support, but not be involved in extensive curriculum development or assessment planning.