PDA

View Full Version : Craft Fairs In Scotland

Feanor
14-01-2005, 11:05 AM
Hi there, i'm Feanor, first time user of this particular forum. I'm 22, and a student, so my craft "habit" is restricted to what i get for birthdays and christmas!

I'm from scotland and i think we don't get enough craft fairs in scotland. We do get a huge one once a year in Glasgow, which is fab, but i really want more!

Is anyone else here from scotland, and do you know of any "underground" or local craft fairs that i don't know about!

Also, i feel like the only one in scotland who likes crafts, so would love some crafty buddies to discuss stuff with!

thanks, feanor

phoenix
27-01-2005, 10:47 PM
For a list of the best of scottish craft fairs check out the "fair" section of my web site http://www.phoenixac.4t.com
keep well
Phoenix

redgemini1982
10-02-2005, 09:32 PM
I know how you feel Feanor, for awhile I thought I was the only one in Scotland who cared about whether or not we get any craft fairs. We simply don't get enough of them up here - England gets them all.

0103media
11-02-2005, 10:35 AM
I know how you feel Feanor, for awhile I thought I was the only one in Scotland who cared about whether or not we get any craft fairs. We simply don't get enough of them up here - England gets them all.

lol...

I'm sure we will find some for you...

Barci9999
24-04-2005, 09:44 PM
This annual event takes place at Kilsyth International Carnival in mid August - this year on Sunday 14th from midday to early evening, in the superb setting of the Colzium Estate between Glasgow and Stirling. Details at .

Its an open air multi-cultural event, attracting around 5,000 people, so bring a gazebo or tent, and the fee is modest, at 25, payable in advance to the organisers. (http://www.kic.me.uk)

Fran
08-07-2005, 10:26 AM
Hi

I've just came across this forum and noticed your request. I'm in Dumfries and it's a haven for crafters from all walks of life. At the moment I'm doing around 60 days worth of craft events this year ranging from the local village halls to the major events like The Royal Highland Show, each have good and bad points, it's all trial and error finding events that suit you and your timetable and the distance you are willing to travel, I'll do a 2 hour drive one way if it's a good event.

You mention there is a big event in Glasgow each year, is that the Glasgow Show? (now being held at Glasgow Green this year) There is also the World Pipeband Championships held at the Glasgow Green each year that has a craft tent 2 weeks before the Glasgow Show. The Royal Concert Hall in Glasgow also has regular craft events throughout the year. There is the Garden Festival in Uddingston early June, contact is the Lanarkshire District Council.

Where abouts in Scotand are you, perhaps I could help more! and beleive me when I say you are NOT alone.

Fran

baines
04-09-2005, 06:15 PM
I used to organize some craft fairs in Scotland with a few other craft workers, because of similar problems.

Also there were two really good ones I used to attend in Bearsden and Milngavie. + The bearsden mother and toddlers group does an annual one in the evening for a few hours sometime around now and nov. It was really good. I had people queuing up to buy my jewellery and took as much in a few hours as I did all day at other shows.

Let me know how you get on

Heather jewellery
30-09-2010, 02:58 PM
Hi

Myself and a friend run a craft evening twice a month for people to come along and get together with their crafty projects for a cuppa and cake and chat whilst they work on their projects. We are in Paisley if thats anywhere near you we meet every other saturday at 7pm till about 9ish, the next one is this saturday.

Check your local primary and secondary schools as most of them will be having a christmas fayre where you may be able to get a table.

Good luck xx

Elin
30-09-2010, 07:07 PM
Hi Heather jewelry - this thread was started back in 2005 so is pretty out of date now. :)

Eileen Moore
03-01-2011, 01:53 AM
Hi

I am starting 'Tryst Craft Fairs', a monthly craft fair held at the Dobbie Hall in Larbert. There will be good quality handmade local crafts. Teas, coffees and cakes will be available and we are going to have a childrens craft activity at every fair. The first fair is on the 12th of March 2011. Please visit my website: www(dot)trystcraftfairs(dot)com for more information and dates.

grenville allen
03-01-2011, 10:41 AM
Here's a start:

ICHF - International Craft + Hobby Fair Indoor Craft Shows - Crafts for Christmas (http://www.ichf.co.uk/indoorcraftsalive/)

You'll need a wealthy sponsor though to afford this. And a 4x4 or at the very least snow chains since it's held in mid to late October.http://www.myemoticons.com/images/emotions/anxious/phew.gif

glassandsilverjewellery
16-03-2011, 09:22 PM
Hi,
Are there any other decent venues in/around Glasgow? We go to the one in Merchant Square, but wonder if there are other regular ones that are worth trying. Any thoughts?

Squinty Jewellery
16-03-2011, 11:36 PM
There are LOADS of craft events in Glasgow! Maybe not in 2005, but now the place is hoaching with them! :) Go to your search engine (can I say google?) and type in Made in The Shade, Granny Would Be Proud, Byres Road Makers Market, Sloans Market, just for starters. I haven't been a stallholder at any of them so can't vouch for anything at all. There's also Say No To Plastic, which I did once. Stall was quite dear, but it was VERY busy, and all the profits go to various charities (you keep any cash you make). I also organise fairs, look for me on the face book, I'm Crafty Critters. There's also a page called West Of Scotland Craft Fairs, worth joining as people post events and are sometimes looking for stallholders.

I know this thread might be a wee bit out of date now :) But the Craft scene in Glasgow is absolutely bustling right now!

Roddy
10-05-2011, 07:42 AM
We have a craft fair in Clydebank, Scotland on 4th June 2011:

Craft Fayre & Cream Tea
Clydebank (G81 1PA)
Abbotsford Church (beside the Playdrome)

Including: jewellery, wood-turning, cushions, bags, baking, silks, contemporary crochet, photos
3 (cost of entry and cream tea)
4th June 10.30am-1pm

grenville allen
10-05-2011, 08:17 AM
You'll have to have your own separate fairs the way things are going (on the geopolitical front).:mummy:

margareth43
05-01-2013, 03:18 PM
Fran:

Could you email me at margareth43@yahoo.co.uk my friend Janice lives in your area and is looking to contact crafters and is very interested in any local fairs.

Eclectic Moon
21-01-2013, 08:21 PM
I see this thread is a bit old but it's still been quite valuable for me to read it. I'm wondering if there are many people on the forum selling at Scottish craft fairs now?

MarionT
21-01-2013, 10:04 PM
I see this thread is a bit old but it's still been quite valuable for me to read it. I'm wondering if there are many people on the forum selling at Scottish craft fairs now?

Hi, I'm in north east Fife, near Dundee and St Andrews. I'm quite new to the craft fair circuit, sticking to the same one about 3 times a year recently. This year I've signed up for 2 new ones, one in Cupar, the other in Dundee and looking forward to both. But I was turned down by a Scottish Crafts organisation because my main activity is garden plants and they didn't think that was suitable. It's a pity because at this time of year I'm making potpourri, firelighters, candles, scented pine cones, knitted scarves etc but I suppose it's their decision.

Still on the lookout for other fairs in the Dundee/North Fife area though. Any other crafters out there over this side of Scotland?

Marion

DaiyLou
29-01-2013, 01:01 AM
hi, im from scotland too :) do you live near ayrshire at all? theres a town called troon which has a few craft fairs on over the coming months.

petjewels
03-02-2013, 04:02 PM
hi, im from scotland too :) do you live near ayrshire at all? theres a town called troon which has a few craft fairs on over the coming months.

Oooo i live just by new cumnock.