PDA

View Full Version : So waddaya think??

ethel&edna
01-04-2008, 10:55 PM
These are some of the pieces I made for the final graduation show of my HND course.

Unglazed Mary Jane shoes (http://www.flickr.com/photos/23202798@N04/2299371685/in/set-72157603799309453/)

Glazed Mary Jane shoes (http://www.flickr.com/photos/23202798@N04/2299370025/in/set-72157603799309453/)

Would like some feedback from people who haven't had anything to do with them - if you see what I mean. The only people who've seen them are family, friends or college tutors who were obviously all encouraging :D.

Is it worth trying to sell them? Are they good enough or do I consign them to the attic forever to gather dust? :0)

loopy lou
01-04-2008, 11:01 PM
Attic for good? dont be silly they are brillant piece of work!!!!!!

Off course you should be selling them!!

Well done!;)

LOUISE

incywincy
01-04-2008, 11:18 PM
They are FAB! - LOVE 'em

Not sure why?? but I prefer them unglazed. Maybe it's because they look more real - Like Em's scuffed dull ones!

ethel&edna
01-04-2008, 11:29 PM
Yeah. That's what I think. I was originally going to print some artwork onto transfer paper and put these onto the glazed ones but ended up preferring the white colour.

What do you reckon you could charge for them? Any ideas at all. I did work out a costing but I want to see if any suggestions come out anywhere close :D

At the moment they are all in shoe boxes sitting in the corner of the dining room feeling unloved and forgotten. (Argh! What is it with me and dolls/creatures? I even give inanimate objects personality? There's a name for that isn't there?:mf:)

JBJB
01-04-2008, 11:33 PM
Before I read everyone else's posts, I thought to myself I prefer the un-glazed ones. I think they just look more realistic.

I would also like to see them in colours (pink obviously!)

Definitely have a go at selling them, but no idea on costs, I'm hopeless at pricing my own stuff never mind other people's!

ethel&edna
01-04-2008, 11:46 PM
he he Glad it's not just me.

So do I try etsy? Ebay? Craft fair?

Ooh decision, decisions...

ilovecrafts
02-04-2008, 12:26 AM
Gorgeous! I prefer the unglazed as well, too shiny the others, but could that just be the photo? did you use a flash? orhave other lights reflecting off them when you took the photo?

definitely try to sell them.
could you try an auctio on ebay? that miht give you an idea of what people wouldpay for them.
Could theybe personalised?(child's name on sole?etc..)

SusieQ
02-04-2008, 12:29 AM
Are They good? Are they good? They are blummin' amazing!!! They are gorgeous. They would definately sell!!! Sue xx:D

candles by lisa
02-04-2008, 08:45 AM
I love them too and like everyone else prefer the unglazed ones but it might just be the flash too!!

I have no idea about price I'm afraid but I am sure you will have no problem selling them. Sorry don't use ebay or etsy to sell so can't advise you on that but I'm sure plenty of people on here will be able to help.

Send to the attic indeed!!!

Cheers.

Lisa

:D

indri
02-04-2008, 09:46 AM
Don't consign them to the attic! Just to be different I prefer the glazed ones, they remind me of the red patent shoes I had when I was 10.

incywincy
02-04-2008, 09:50 AM
Have you got an Etsy shop Ethel?

Sprinkles
02-04-2008, 09:51 AM
aww, i do love those buckle shoes. they are so real!

i like the glazed ones, only because the feel of the unglazed ones give me shivers!

janetdc
02-04-2008, 10:14 AM
They are sooo cute, I bet everybody who see those goes aaahhhh! Can't hide them away they are bound to sell as they would make a great present for christening or maybe confirmation.
;);)

ethel&edna
02-04-2008, 11:40 AM
It's fab reading all your different comments. I don't think my photos were the best. I was actually trying to use a light box thingie made from a tutorial link on swirly's blog. Unfortunately I don't have any clip-on spot lights so was using halogen bedside lamps ;0). White wasn't the best background colour to use either.
The glaze is actually a matte one so they aren't really shiny in 'real life'.

Have you got an Etsy shop Ethel?

No etsy shop. Yet. Have registered so can look at other peeps' stuff, forums, etc. but no shop. Bit scared to take the plunge really.

I am registered on eBay. I sell our junk on it all the time! My OH keeps telling me to try a pair of the shoes on there. Tomorrow is a cheap listing day I think so I'll put a pair of each on to try.
I also did little trainers but I haven't got any photos of them yet.

JBJB
02-04-2008, 12:25 PM
Tomorrow is a cheap listing day

Where does it say that?

colourart
02-04-2008, 12:47 PM
Where does it say that?

JBJB
02-04-2008, 01:00 PM
I'm going to sulk ... it's not telling me!!

swirlyarts
02-04-2008, 04:52 PM
Do you still make these? If so you could offer a personalised pair of the child's first shoes - name on bottom and if the parents send in a photo then you could make them to match the first shoes.
If not then I think you could sell them on Etsy - and I think the unglazed ones are the best!

Ballerinacaz
02-04-2008, 05:46 PM
I think they're both fab, and I really think the idea of personalised ones would go down really well if you are still making them!
Price wise I would go for around £15-£20 maybe...
Not certain, I'm not very good at pricing, it sort of depends how much the materials cost, how long they took. But I think they are definately worth £15-£20 maybe more...

Poppy4lee
02-04-2008, 06:16 PM
They're brilliant!! (I prefer the unglazed ones too).

JBJB
02-04-2008, 06:25 PM
I'm wondering if the glazed ones would look better if you did them in either a bright red or black and then they might look like patent shoes?

Ian Beckerton
02-04-2008, 06:43 PM
I think that the unglazed white shoes would make a great Black and White photograph. In other words I with the photographic eye can see something that perhaps you donít see. I suppose that I am looking beyond the shoes as an object and more as an image.

The unglazed shoes I think are the best, they work better with the light but you would have to re take the image with a more graduated lighting set up. I would say that the one you have here has potential but needs more work to get it right but the principle is good.

I..

swirlyarts
02-04-2008, 06:43 PM
I'm wondering if the glazed ones would look better if you did them in either a bright red or black and then they might look like patent shoes?

I'd wondered that too :D

ethel&edna
02-04-2008, 08:41 PM
Wow! So many responses! Thanks guys :0).

I don't make 'em any more as I don't have regular access to the clay and larger kilns. Making bespoke ones was my original intention but setting up a ceramic studio was way too expensive and took up too much room that we don't have. I had got as far as buying a big kiln off ebay but had nowhere to put it! Oops. OH wanted his garage back so I had to sell it and bought a titchy muffle kiln instead.

The idea for shiny patent ones would have been great. My other thought was to do little wellies and use ceramic transfers to add wacky patterns and colours to them. Ah well.... back to the sewing machine.

Black and white photos would be a lovely idea but don't know if it's quite right for eBay. Will have to hope tomorrow is brightish and try taking some more photos.

Now need to go trawling past threads for help getting started on etsy.

Ian Beckerton
02-04-2008, 09:03 PM
Hi ethel&edna,

Not Ebay, no, no definitely not.

I think that they would make better art prints, which is not an Ebay bag at all Ė there is just something about them that grabs my attention. Itís probably the way they work with light but not the lighting you have there, there is just a hint of something that could be made to work rather well.

I..

ethel&edna
02-04-2008, 09:13 PM
Just wish I could send them to you to do them justice :0) he he.

Would I be better shooting them with a darker/coloured background - not from an artistic angle now but with a few to selling the actual shoes?

Ian Beckerton
02-04-2008, 09:42 PM
Well, if you were doing the art thing then I would do it with a graduated white lighting or light grey background. Using colour would I think detract from the shape and texture you have there. For display purposes I would always shoot white fist as anything else detracts from the thing you are shooting but white on white requires some practice.

As to me shooting them, I donít know whether that would be Ďpolitickí but it would certainly be interesting.

I..

ethel&edna
02-04-2008, 09:50 PM
I'll have to hope for decent weather/light tomorrow and experiment some more with white background.

Now if there was another swap like the Secret Easter Bunny I could send you a pair of shoes as a 'secret' present... haha.

I'll keep persevering and pestering you for advice. Thanks for the help so far. :0)

Ian Beckerton
02-04-2008, 11:03 PM
Itís all practice, practice, practice. Oh and reading lots of technical c**p but thatĎs what I do anyway.

All I can say to you is put the shoes down in a background and walk round them, look at what the light is doing, expose correctly, thatís important. Deepen shadows with a bit of black card, you just hold it near the shadow and you will se it go darker itís the same with white card that will lighten the shadow. Thatís the cheap way of controlling light and itís very subtle.

Let me see what you can do!

I..

ethel&edna
02-04-2008, 11:06 PM
Oooh That sounds like a challenge! lol

I'll post my attempts tomorrow and see what you think. Better go and find some black card now....;)

ClaireP
02-04-2008, 11:08 PM
They are lovely!

Agree with everyone else about preferring the unglazed ones :)

Good luck selling them!! x

Focus on Life
02-04-2008, 11:17 PM
Sorry I'm late and just backing up the great feedback you've already had - theyre lovely and well worth starting up again - and my gut favourites were the unglazed too but when I read the posts suggesting black and red patent I thought YES! :)

Shaz x

ethel&edna
02-04-2008, 11:25 PM
Thanks guys for all the helpful comments and feedback.

Basically I now need to move to a bigger house, buy a bigger kiln, invest in several tubs of white earthenware slip, glazes and fine casting plaster and I'll be sorted! rofl :D

Seriously, I will ponder the price problem, try them out on eBay AFTER practising with my photographic technique tomorrow. I'll let you know how things progress.

incywincy
02-04-2008, 11:25 PM
Shame you can't make more - I like the idea of copying toddlers first shoes :) There was someone on Tuggle that painted first shoes I think?

Shout if you want Etsy help - but it's quite easy.

They are not for Ebay!!! - people want stuff for pennies on there. Even try local galleries? What about Stafford gallery in the town centre?? They take artists work to display.

:)

incywincy
02-04-2008, 11:32 PM
I should just add ... I didn't read all these posts - so if i'm repeating what others have said i'm sorry :p and dizzy!!

ethel&edna
02-04-2008, 11:55 PM
No you're not repeating actually. Some did say try them on 'the bay of E' as I didn't know what price to charge.

Had some good advice from our new photographic expert - ;) thanks Ian -for which I am very grateful.

Should I just save them all for the craft fair in Sutton Coldfield in July??

incywincy
03-04-2008, 12:15 AM
No you're not repeating actually. Some did say try them on 'the bay of E' as I didn't know what price to charge.

Had some good advice from our new photographic expert - ;) thanks Ian -for which I am very grateful.

Should I just save them all for the craft fair in Sutton Coldfield in July??

Why not - there is no rush to sell them. Plus I get to see them in the flesh then :D

Rodeo Lady
03-04-2008, 05:36 PM
They are superb and what else can I add :) but be warned I think if you take them out in public your going to have to buy I kiln because lots and lots of mammies and grannies will want them !!

And I like the shiney ones but then I like shiney shoes.