PDA

View Full Version : Back to sewing

Seahorse
30-03-2008, 10:47 PM
As summer is approaching and I seem to have lost any urge I ever had to buy lovely clothes from proper shops(I went out for dinner last night, usually Id get something new but I wore things Ive had for ages!!), Ive decided to make my own.
So, Im going shopping tomorrow to get patterns for a 50's skirt and a basic dress so I can adapt it how Id like(in theory anyway).
Ive had an idea for a plain 50's skirt with pockets which I think I could get alot of wear out of and Ive a wedding to go to in a few months so I may make a dress.

Also, Ive warned my sis in law that if the first grandchild in the family is a girl I will be making dress after dress after dress for her.

Can you recomend any make of pattern, one that actually is the size it says it is?

swirlyarts
31-03-2008, 11:49 AM
Oooooh - yeah!!!!!!! Seahorse sewing! I can't recommend any patterns I'm afraid because the ones I use are all vintage. And when I say use I mean put in a box and occasionally get out to have a look at!
Burda style do a pretty good website - they might have some good things.

Seahorse
31-03-2008, 12:25 PM
Thanks.
I had a look on ebay and they had quite a few vintage patterns for a few pounds.They would be good but the sizes are tiney, like a 28 inch waist.....maybe a few years ago it would have fitted, but not now.

Pebbles
31-03-2008, 02:44 PM
I bought a 50's dress from a website called dollydagger, small sizes though, i had to get a size 14 to go over my hips.

I think I saw some 50's patterns in hobbycraft the other day, however, I struggle to sew a straight line, i don't think I am ready for a full dress! i can look though right?

Seahorse
31-03-2008, 04:01 PM
Didnt know hobbycraft did patterns!

Surprise surprise, I went shopping and didnt buy a thing.
None of the patterns looked appealing.
I reckon il wing the skirt and see how it goes, make it in some cheap material first.

creativeclare
31-03-2008, 07:16 PM
Great that you are sewing!

Ok the reason why our garments don`t make up to the size pattern we buy is that the pattern sizes are different to ready to wear. I`m Marks & Spencer Size 16 but will sometimes have to make up a Size 20 from a pattern. I`ve also been know to make up a Size 12 (OH YES!) from a paper patter. The size 20 and the size 12 both fitted well. Measure yourself and then compare the measurements to the brand of pattern you are buying. Some companies such as McCall ( on half price at the moment) have designers in their catolgue such as Connie Francis or Palmer & Pletch, these designers spe******e in a full figure (big not neccesarily BIGGER figure patterns) there are also designers who spe******e in athletic type figures.

The other thing is most pattern companies make their "tops" to fit a B to C cup. I`m a 34DD so I have make lots of adjustments to the tissue. But if I bought something from a shop, to fit my bust I would have to get a bigger size which I could get my boobs into but the garment wouldn`t fit anywhere else.

Vogue, Butterick and McCall all have lovely vintage patterns based on original 50`s designs.

Check out www.sewing (http://www.sewing)patterns.com to view the catologue and then order from www.sewdirect.com (http://www.sewdirect.com) in the UK.

HTH!

Clare

toots
19-04-2008, 08:33 PM
It is years since I made any clothes, but I have been thinking of starting again. I never seem to find anything I like in a colour that suits me at a price I can afford.

I was recently gifted some fabric by a freecycler, in the box was a lovely length of cloth that would make a really nice skirt or trousers........but I am on the small side, and no longer slim, I find patterns are too long. I also have a problem, my back is only 36 but my boobs are FF so fitting that into a pattern is a bit tricky. I was wondering about going to some pattern making classes at the local college.....then I could draw and adapt my own clothes.

I will have to see whats on in September when the new years classes start......................

purplemac
20-04-2008, 11:27 AM
Hi, I bought a book from borders called ' how to make your own patterns' by Rene Bergh. I bet you could get it cheap on Amazon. It shows all the basics and is all done on your measurements so it'll fit. The examples in it are very 80's but it's a good book.
Debbie

ickle pickle
20-04-2008, 07:12 PM
Hi I can recommend http://www.sewingpatterns.com really good reliable service and with the exchange rate, really good value.

swirlyarts
28-04-2008, 04:54 PM
I've just found a seller on Etsy who sells larger vintage patterns. Might have to get some myself! http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=100606

brittone05
25-05-2008, 12:58 PM
I fully agree with Clare - don't buy a pattern in a certain size because that is your ready to wear size. Always measure yourself and follow the size guide on the patterns.

For a good range of 50's stuff, I would certainly check out eBay. I get most of my patterns from there and they have a lot of vontage stuff on there.

Burda also do a range of dresses and skirts that are very much 50's inspired and their patterns are usually simple to follow. Vogue patterns can be a bit upside down on the instructions I find - they expect everyone to have been sewing for years and know all the varying terminologies!

50's is coming back in a big way right now as are large bows according to the Tatler mag lol :D

Moley
29-05-2008, 10:42 PM
Toots,
Don't worry about having to adjust for a very full bust. It's just a series of logical steps and you can make a stabdard B cuo pattern fit anywhere up to a GG if necessary.
Nor does it matter which pattern company you choose from. All their basic blocks on which all the patterns are based are much of a muchness.
If you are really serious about sewing for yourself I would strongly advise buying the book "Fit for Real People" by Pati Palmer and Marta Alto. Their system really works and saves having to mess around with toiles.
Shout out if you need help - I'm a qualified sewing instructor, outside of the day job!!

squall
28-06-2008, 09:02 AM
Oooooh - yeah!!!!!!! Seahorse sewing! I can't recommend any patterns I'm afraid because the ones I use are all vintage. And when I say use I mean put in a box and occasionally get out to have a look at!
Burda style do a pretty good website - they might have some good things.

Seahorse what? What is that? This is the first time I encountered such sewing..

Seahorse
28-06-2008, 10:27 AM
Seahorse is me.
Im thinking of sewing again, hence Seahorse sewing.

Last night o had the idea of not buying patterns but going to charity shops and buying shapes of tops/skirts I like, that fit me and cutting those up to use as patterns.At least Il know theyl fit.