PDA

View Full Version : Selling Online

Ballerinacaz
30-03-2008, 05:42 PM
I know I have started rather a lot of threads recently, I'm sorry, but I'm just trying to get my head round all of this...

If I am planning to sell my crafts, am I better off selling on places like etsy, youcraftylot, tuggle and the likes, or should I get my own website? Or should I do both? If I was getting my own website I was planning on buying a Mr. Site, does this sound like a good idea?

Can people try and help me here, coz I'm having trounle finding out how I should sell, what I should sell, etc

Thanks

Chris W
30-03-2008, 06:58 PM
Why don't you test the water first? There probably is no right or wrong answer to your question. How well you do will probably depend on how hard you try, how lucky you are, how appealing your items are, how correct your prices are and how much money you are prepared to spend. Perhaps you might gain confidence from taking part in a craft fair, you can learn a lot from your customers feedback, get to know what sells etc. It is my experience that out of a range of twenty items you will have one good seller but in order to find out what this is you need to experiment and take a few risks.

Katianne
30-03-2008, 07:05 PM
I started with an Ebay Shop first and have just done a website. I do quite well through my ebay shop but know others who haven't. Some seem to do well on Etsy, but I've never sold anything...I don't think there's any real answer ot this other than try it out and see. Etsy is cheap to list on and it seems to get a lot of people using it. Ebay again has a big audience although depending on what you're selling you might have a lot of competition.

Sorry can't give a definite answer other than maybe test the water with everything?

CurlyFries
30-03-2008, 07:09 PM
Hello

I started out selling at craft fairs but rarely go to them now, and I also sell on Ebay. Ebay is hit and miss though and Christmas is by far the busiest time of the year for me. I haven't tried any of the other sites like Etsy etc but I am considering giving them a go later in the year. Also, I plan to set up a website and am considering purchasing Mr Site Pro. Oh, and I in November / December I take my wares into the office and usually sell a fair amount there which is good!

Best of luck for the future :)

Emma

Shipbuilder
30-03-2008, 08:22 PM
There is no need to buy a website. You can make a "blog type website for free" They have an easy www. address & can be set up in a few minutes. If you go to my Blog (Via my profile), you will see in the top right hand corner "Create Blog." If you click on that & follow simple instructions, you can have a website up & running within a few minutes. That is how I go mine - someone directed me to their blog & I just followed the "Create Blog" path in the top right hand corner!
Bob

Ballerinacaz
30-03-2008, 08:33 PM
I already have a blog, I was talking about owning a website which I can sell things on...

annnoble
30-03-2008, 08:47 PM
Hi,
I would recommend doing them all, this way you have more links to your main site. It also puts you in frount of as many people as possible and thats what its all about getting people to see your product.
Most of the sites are easy to use and can be done quite quickly, just make sure you have loads of describing words to hand!
Sites I've recently joined include bttradespace dot com, youcreativelot dot co dot uk, etsy, stallholders dot com and just to day ecrater dot com. I also sell seconds on ebay and have my own site.
As joining is so recent I don't know if it will change anything, but you can all but try. Good Luck with which ever way you decide to go.
Ann

ezzyam
30-03-2008, 08:49 PM
There is an excellent new site called youcraftylot. It is new as I said but the more people on there the more it will be noticed.Hazel who runs it is a lovely helpful lady so if you have problems uploading pictures or anything just contact her and she will guide you through it. Give it a go and good luck with your sales.

annnoble
30-03-2008, 08:50 PM
Opps yes its supposed to be youcraftylot, not youcreativelot. Sorry

PeggyCrafts
31-03-2008, 10:39 AM
I would also recommend Microsoft Office Basics, you can host your website for free and although the design tools are a little basic, you can change the colours etc and they can also help with marketing and an e-mail address.

Shipbuilder
31-03-2008, 08:34 PM
Ballerinacaz.
My blog seems to do just that. I don't even say I am selling anything. Interested parties simply contact me & ask if anything available. Just sold one to a UK buyer today & had an enquiry from Hong Kong for another. It has been working well for over a year now. But I have found that it is best to keep it updated as people get bored with sites that never change!
Bob