PDA

View Full Version : Help - layered soaps

The Soap Fairy
23-03-2008, 04:46 PM
I need help. I seem to be having a problem with layering soaps.

I use melt and pour soaps - I have tried several times to do several layers in a soap loaf. I have looked through several sites and all seem to say something different - cool completely inbetween, slightly cool etc.

This is what I do. Pour first layer and spritz with surgical spirit, wait to cool for a while and when top is firm melt next layer, spritz again and pour second layer. Leave for 24 hours in mould - unmould and leave for a while and then cut into slices - THEN THE LAYERS COME APART :mad:

So I start again, and again, and again. A few may stay together but can see the join. HEEEELLLLLLPPPPP

Any ideas - anyone!!!!

Donna

just_mai
23-03-2008, 07:42 PM
you want the bottom layer to have a thick skin but not fully set, spritz with alcohol then slowly pour on your next layer, continue like that, if you leave each layer to set it will come apart.

so pour the layers as soon as you can when the skin is formed,

edited for spelling typing to fast.

The Soap Fairy
23-03-2008, 11:10 PM
Thank you. Will try again suppose practice makes perfect.

Donna
xx

Starstruck
23-03-2008, 11:14 PM
I have absolutely nothing constructive to offer, except to say that I WISH I had some extra hours in the day to make soap!!! OMG it sounds fab - I love smellies and shiver at the prospect of creating my own.

But the washing/cooking/nappies/hoovering/dusting etc are calling.....

Perhaps one day!

here is my pooing horse: :horse: He is mine - I love him!

Can I add him to my sig?

Starstruck
23-03-2008, 11:20 PM
Oooh - I can!! my very own horse!

Actually I just want to say that my last post sounded a bit patronising, and wasn't meant to!

I do lots of crafty things, which I sell (along with the more boring mundane things in my life). I just wish I could find the time to explore more craft!!

If I could do everything, I would be in heaven.

I think then I would also be called "wonder woman!"