PDA

View Full Version : copycat designing!

lucykate crafts...
21-03-2008, 10:39 PM
i had an email today, well actually, quite a few, regarding some owls posted for sale on etsy looking strangely familiar!

have blogged it here,

lucykatecrafts.blogspot.com/2008/03/i-think-i-need-some-chocolate.html

darn it, still not posted enough to do a link, grrrrrr!

can someone do a link for me, pretty please?,

or just click on the blog link below

lucykate crafts...
21-03-2008, 10:40 PM
ok, i need 3 more posts so i can do links myself

lucykate crafts...
21-03-2008, 10:41 PM
2 more posts...

lucykate crafts...
21-03-2008, 10:41 PM
another one and that should be it :)

lucykate crafts...
21-03-2008, 10:42 PM
http://lucykatecrafts.blogspot.com/2008/03/i-think-i-need-some-chocolate.html

fingers crossed it works

saraeden
21-03-2008, 11:14 PM
Hi there i have had a similar problem myself ... i have blogged about it !!!

Sara x

lucykate crafts...
22-03-2008, 12:25 AM
sara, have left you a comment on your blog :)

Swarovski Chick
22-03-2008, 07:40 AM
The owl design does look remarkably familiar it seems to have inherited all the features but neglected to put any effort into the shape.

Love your designs.

incywincy
22-03-2008, 08:46 AM
:mad:
Totally agree with what you said - fair enough to use the interenet, books etc to gather research, but where's the design process - So not fair :(

Enjoy your Easter weekend :)

Sprinkles
22-03-2008, 08:59 AM
They do look strangely... familier :confused:

Im all for sharing ideas though, but like Swarovski Chick had said, the shape is poo!

Yours are more owely and nicer :D

I think this is something that we are all going to have to put up with :(

saraeden
22-03-2008, 10:11 AM
I was warned this would happen especially when you blog about your things as well as putting them on ebay/ etsy !! I know it may seem flattering to have some one like your work that much they want to copy it but when does happen its very upsetting !!!

Sara x

lucykate crafts...
22-03-2008, 10:23 AM
it is frustrating, particularly when they are claiming a design as their own original idea.

i think the only true way of dealing with it is to, as a designer, keep evolving, move faster than the competition, leave them standing copying your old designs and work on new stuff!

sweet
22-03-2008, 11:11 AM
WOW, I really feel for you chick, blatently tea leafing your idea is so so wrong. Funny enough tho, the originals always look better, much much better in fact.

As an artist, some of my inspiration comes from looking and observing the work of other artists, no more so than observing nature, but I make it MY own...I wouldn't actually copy anothers work, or copy it slightly, its just so wrong. I would be angry too.

Lets hope they have learnt something from this...but somehow I doubt very much!

You have the inspiration and creativity to keep two steps ahead of these fraudsters...

s.x

Roseberry Crafts
22-03-2008, 01:10 PM
Really feel for you chuck! I had problems on ebay about three years ago. I had people copying cards and t-shirts and in the end I gave up because it was getting too competative! I wish now that I'd kept going beacuse some of my buyers might have stuck with me and kept coming back! I'll never know, but this time I've grown a thicker skin, so I'll plough on!:)

Starstruck
22-03-2008, 01:21 PM
Actually, I think the "other" owls look evil!! I wouldn't want to have one sat looking at me that's for sure. Yours are extremely cute looking.

I've had my work copied many times, and just have to grin and bear it. The worst was when an Ebay seller was using one of the images from my website to advertise their own "handmade" designs. I put a stop to that quite quickly!

K x

lucykate crafts...
23-03-2008, 12:14 PM
well, can, worms, everywhere, just about sums it all up.

i've amended my blog post as the matter is over, but i hope that this thread can stay and serve as a lesson to others. i have had quite a few emails and 'threats' from the other party and their family, it has been a huge learning curve for me.

if/when you come across anyone who you suspect is copying your work, walk away, don't even lower yourself to waste time dealing with it, just simply move on and design something new and better.

Focus on Life
23-03-2008, 12:36 PM
i have had quite a few emails and 'threats' from the other party and their family, it has been a huge learning curve for me.

if/when you come across anyone who you suspect is copying your work, walk away, don't even lower yourself to waste time dealing with it, just simply move on and design something new and better.

That's awful and so out of order for them to harass you, knowing theyre at fault, some people...

Glad to hear you're moving on from it all, you're bigger and better than they are, hopefully they'll grow up and learn that being inspired by someone else is one thing, outright copying them is entirely another

Shaz x

lucykate crafts...
28-03-2008, 09:00 PM
after giving this whole situation of copying a lot of thought this weekend, do you know what, i'm actually glad it happened now. it is something i hadn't faced myself yet, and now i have, i'm better placed to know how to deal with it in the future.

i made the mistake of contacting the other person, not really a good idea as they are never going to admit they have copied. all it served to do was make her turn on me, her only line of defense being attack basically!.

since the other persons attempt at an owl actually made me laugh out loud, it was that obvious they could neither draw nor sew, i should have just left it be.

lucykate crafts...
01-04-2008, 09:55 PM
even more ripping off here,

http://neststudio.typepad.com/moopy_me/2008/04/outrage.html

this is far more shocking as an australian company has manufactured toys which are copies of an existing 'wee wonderfulls' pattern!

ethel&edna
01-04-2008, 10:02 PM
:mad: Grrr! It's just SOOO wrong but as some of the comments on this latest post say, the big guns rely on the 'little people' being too afraid or intimidated to do anything about it.

What can anyone do? The 'net is a great thing for getting your name out there and reaching markets around the world, but there are also downsides. It's a real delicate balance.

two hoots
02-04-2008, 08:56 AM
I work in the design industry, and I have to say there is no such thing as a completly original design we all draw influences from every thing we see hear etc wether we conciously do this or unconciously, how ever those owls are a little close for comfort. I'll have a read of the comments on your blog.

lucykate crafts...
02-04-2008, 09:26 AM
twohoots, i know what you mean, i used to work for the 'coats' group as a needlecraft kit designer. when looking at any of the competitors catalogues, it was always amusing when you'd recognise where their idea had come from as we had the same book/wrapping paper/greetings card in amongst our old design studio too!

two hoots
02-04-2008, 10:48 AM
very much the same with ceramics, I'd have a browse around and think nuts I'd been thinking about that ! back to the drawing board. The most annoying thing about your owl copier is that the same material was used ! one way I would change something if it was 'inspired' by another artist I would firstly credit them with the inspiration, and then alter at least the materials used. The difficulty is that we live in an age of the blog and social websites, so wether its your identity or your artistic work it is easily up for grabs unfortunatly.